Remodel Recessed Lighting: Loose Junction Boxes Okay?

Old 12-05-13, 12:11 PM
Remodel Recessed Lighting: Loose Junction Boxes Okay?

I am installing recessed lighting in my basement (1951 Baltimore rowhouse). I am using remodel lights to avoid demolishing the drywall ceiling, but due to clearance issues (joists and cross-braces inside the ceiling), I am not able to use standard remodel cans. Instead I found these LED lights https://www.torchstar.biz/detail.php?id=496 which are compact enough to fit under and around the obstructing cross braces.

Unlike most remodel cans, these do not have a built-in junction box. It's my understanding that the wires at the end of the LED units need to be connected to power in a junction box, as opposed to having an exposed connection in the ceiling.

My question is this: Although I have not yet cut the holes in the ceiling, I suspect that the 4" holes I will be cutting will not be large enough for me to maneuver tools and mount the junction boxes to the ceiling joists. Would it be unsafe/unwise/a mortal sin to have the junction boxes sit loose in the ceiling? There is no insulation.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-13, 01:08 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Since these are complete fixtures, they have a space for the wiring connections inside each fixture. Look at the illustrations on the page you linked to.

Mount the drivers in an accessible location and wire the fixtures from there. Low voltage wiring does not have to be spliced in a junction box.

Old 12-05-13, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
You would want to use wire suitable for use inside walls and ceiling such as NM-b or thermostat wire.

Old 12-05-13, 01:35 PM
Thanks,

To be clear, I am asking about where the NM from the power source meets the two white wires coming out of the drivers. Does that connection need to be in a box mounted to the joist?

Old 12-05-13, 02:00 PM
To be clear, I am asking about where the NM from the power source meets the two white wires coming out of the drivers. Does that connection need to be in a box mounted to the joist?
What "two white wires coming out of the drivers?"

To be clear, all wiring carrying 120V needs to be spliced in an approved, covered, accessible electrical box. A box that can be reached by removing a fixture is considered accessible if it can be opened, and work performed inside it. While it is ideal if that box is mounted to the building structure, is is not always possible to do that.

Old 12-05-13, 02:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unless things have changed in the last 10 years or so, Baltimore City did not have a homeowners permit to allow electrical work by other than a licensed contractor.

Old 12-05-13, 05:19 PM
I am asking about where the NM from the power source meets the two white wires coming out of the drivers.
I was wondering the same thing. Can you have just one driver to power all these lights mounted remotely or is there one driver per fixture? You said you have a drywall ceiling, the splice to power the driver must be in an accessible junction box, how are you going to have access after the fixtures are installed? Is the 4" hole big enough to work through to mount and wire the junction boxes and drivers?

I didn't see a U.L. Listing anywhere on the page you linked to. Have you contacted the manufacturer to see if they are U.L. Listed? They need to be.