Running ethernet beside a hot air duct

Old 12-05-13, 11:33 AM
Running ethernet beside a hot air duct

I have a run of ethernet that I am thinking about doing where the easiest method would be to run it beside (not inside) a hot air duct that runs from my furnace to an in-floor register. This duct should never get much above the environmental air temperature, so I don't think that heat will be a problem. However there is a small amount of current running through ethernet, so I was concerned about any potential electrical issues.

So the question is: can I safely run an ethernet cable beside a hot air duct?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-13, 12:13 PM
Welcome to the forums!

That should be OK. I would avoid having it be in direct contact, not because of electrical issues but to lessen the chance for damage to the cable from sharp edged and/or vibration.

Old 12-05-13, 12:35 PM
Okay cool. I figured it would likely be okay, but better to ask and find out for sure. I will be trying to keep it away from the duct as much as possible, but it is a LONG fish, so that might not be possible. Appreciate the information.

Old 12-05-13, 01:10 PM
I will be trying to keep it away from the duct as much as possible, but it is a LONG fish, so that might not be possible.
Good luck. I'm curious though: Do you have enough space to fish in a length of "Smurf tube" and use that to protect your Cat 6 or coax?