Triple Tap and Conduit Bender question

Old 12-06-13, 06:19 AM
Triple Tap and Conduit Bender question

Im going to the hardware store to pick up a screwdriver style triple tap to fix some stripped holes in junction boxes. Whats the correct size tap that I would need for outlet, switch and electrical boxes in general? (they usually can rethread 3 sizes like 6/32 8/32 10/32)

Is there a better tool for this, one that can handle more sizes than just the 3 on an electricians triple tap?

Also conduit benders, how long are the handles usually and they usually have 3/4" female threads correct?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-13, 06:56 AM
Group Moderator
I have the Klein tap tool with reversible bits and I think it's.... 1/4-20, 12-24, 10-24 and 6/32 8/32 10/32. I've never used the larger size. For electrical work the smaller triple tap is ideal.

The bender does use a 42" long 3/4" pipe handle.

Gem boxes use 6-32 threads and are usually the ones that need to be re-threaded.

Old 12-06-13, 07:11 AM
Thanks!

Is there a set of taps I can get that would cover those electrical sizes plus others? Seems like something I could have really used over the years.

Also, for the bender handle what is the best material? galvanized or black?

Old 12-06-13, 07:27 AM
Group Moderator
Well.... like I mentioned I have the reversible triple tap(6 way tap). You couldn't go much bigger than the sizes I listed in a screwdriver type handle. You could buy a regular tap set that came with bits and different handles.

A triple tap is good for quick re-thread jobs but a tap and die set is an excellent tool kit to have around. I have several different ones and they come in handy. They also come in metric and SAE types or mixed.

The bender handle makes no difference. Black iron is fine.

Name:  die_and_tap_set_metric.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  51.0 KB

Old 12-06-13, 08:37 AM
for the bender handle what is the best material? galvanized or black?
Black is fine, but I prefer galvanized, it won't eventually rust. Probably little difference in price. Since you are going to a hardware store, maybe you can get some short scrap pipe that will work rather than having a piece cut to length.

Old 12-06-13, 08:37 AM
My benders share a galvanized pipe handle, but that's just because that's what was on the job site the day I decided to make it.

Old 12-07-13, 10:04 AM
Thanks, I ended up with a Klein triple tap (going to get a full set one day). It just has the 6,8,10-32. ts funny that particular tool is only geared towards electricians, I figured they would be common with the rest of the hand drivers at the hardware store. I couldnt find one locally.

For the bender I just used some 3/4" black pipe I had cut to 42". Also picked up a Benefield Conduit Bending manual for a little guidance. Wish me luck.

Old 12-07-13, 10:18 AM
Its funny that particular tool is only geared towards electricians, I figured they would be common with the rest of the hand drivers at the hardware store.
Klein makes tools for the electrical industry and therefore, their tools are all geared to electricians, linemen and other electrical workers. There was a time when to buy Klein tools you had to go to an electrical supply house.

Old 12-07-13, 10:50 AM
Not just the brand, a triple tap in general. I figured there would be sets of them with the rest of the screwdrivers.... I asked at one hardware store and the guy said he never heard of a triple tap!!

Old 12-07-13, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
If you had asked me a few years back when I worked at HD, I wouldn't have known what a triple tap was either, even though I knew where all the tool types in the tool corral were located. Now, if you had told me what it was used for, I probably would have headed right down to the electrical dept and found it quickly.

A regular small hardware store probably wouldn't carry them unless they had a pretty extensive electrical supply area. You don't carry what doesn't sell.

Old 12-07-13, 11:24 AM
Group Moderator
I have used these for quite a while: SAE Drill/Tap/Deburr Bit Set Has everything you need for electrical and more. Anytime I can use a drill rather them my wrist is a good thing. Also lets you drill and tap where there is no hole to start with.