Need help with ckt running to garage

Old 12-07-13, 10:37 AM
Need help with ckt running to garage

I plugged my RV into my garage GFI outlet for the winter and discovered I had induced 110V AC to the chassis of my coach. I tested the outlet and found 110V in the nuetral "White" to ground. The line running to the garage is "direct burial" 12/3 and the ground has been cut back so, NO ground connected to panel. The load side of the GFI goes on to the light switch and then to other outlets.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-13, 11:08 AM
Group Moderator
The line running to the garage is "direct burial" 12/3
12-3 would be four wires, white, red, black, bare. Is that what you have?
the ground has been cut back so, NO ground connected to panel.
That must be fixed. If no ground connected then how did you:
tested the outlet and found 110V in the nuetral "White" to ground
Are you using a digital meter? I ak because you should be reading ~120 volts .

Your actual problem sounds like a reversed hot/neutral somewhere.

Old 12-07-13, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the reply, my bad, its 12/2 with ground. when I first checked the outlet with a meter I didn't know the ground wire connected to the GFI outlet was not connected back at the panel, I found 107V from nuetral leg to ground. It wasn't until later I discovered the ground was cut back and not connected to the main panel. I understand it is not required to have green / bare ground wire if using GFI outlet? Without a ground leg it is dificult to test.

Old 12-07-13, 01:04 PM
Group Moderator
I understand it is not required to have green / bare ground wire if using GFI outlet?
Not exactly. What is true is that on an ungrounded circuit with no ground wire it can be used to add personal safety but it can not be used as a replacement for a ground. What you have is wrong and must be corrected.

Run an extension cord to the garage plugged into a receptacle with a known good ground and use that to check each receptacle till you find where the hot/neutral reverse begins.

Old 12-07-13, 08:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just because it does not need a ground does not mean it can or should be run without a ground. The ground does provide additional safety and should be fixed.