Replacing a FireX smoke detector.

Old 12-09-13, 07:03 AM
Replacing a FireX smoke detector.

My FireX 12000 smoke/CO detector started chirping and changing the battery did not help. I eventually blew it out with compressed air and now it seems to be okay; but it is 7 years old and apparently that is about the life of a smoke/CO detector.

I have 7 FireX smoke detectors on the circuit with it. Firex is out of business; is there anything I can replace the 12000 with, without having to replace the 7 other smoke detectors also?

If not, and I just replace the 12000, will the other smoke detectors still be interconnected with each other, with just the new CO detector out of the loop?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-13, 08:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Firex and Kidde may be compatible. Check the list inside for compatible alarms. If not you will need the change all of them.

BRK may also be an option.

Last edited by pcboss; 12-09-13 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-09-13, 08:51 AM
Firex is out of business
I don't think so, Kidde owns them now.

Toller
My FireX 12000 smoke/CO detector started chirping and changing the battery did not help. I eventually blew it out with compressed air and now it seems to be okay; but it is 7 years old and apparently that is about the life of a smoke/CO detector.
Are you aware the 12000 series Firex alarms were recalled? Yours may have been produced before the recall dates, but I'd check them to be sure.

On May 15, 2008, Maple Chase Company, manufacturer of Firex � branded safety products, announced a voluntary recall in conjunction with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) of its 10000 series carbon monoxide (CO) alarms and 12000 series combination smoke/CO alarms, produced between June 1, 2007 and February 1, 2008. This corrective action is being taken because Maple Chase has determined that the affected models will enter into an audible "double chirp" fault in the presence of carbon monoxide. However, this audible fault also may occur when there are no elevated levels of CO present. The owner's manual for the affected models instructs the consumer to take the unit out of service if the fault continues after pressing the reset button. This results in the potential for the consumer to take the affected model out of service at a time when there may be a CO emergency. As a result, you are advised NOT to take your affected models out of service should they enter into the "double chirp" fault mode.
Firex Recall - Step One

The Firex website will provide informati0on on which alarms are interconnectable.

FireX Smoke Alarms - FireX Home

My FireX 12000 smoke/CO detector started chirping and changing the battery did not help. I eventually blew it out with compressed air and now it seems to be okay
Firex addresses this under FAQ.

Reset the alarm.

Most current model smoke alarms have a processor that retains certain error conditions, such as a weak battery. The error condition should reset when the battery is replaced but sometimes it does not and must be manually reset to clear the error.

To reset an AC unit with a battery backup:

Turn off the power to the smoke alarm at the circuit breaker. Remove the smoke alarm from the mounting bracket and disconnect the power. Remove the battery. Press and hold the test button for at least 15 seconds. The unit may chirp or alarm for a few seconds before going silent. Reconnect the power and reinstall the battery. The unit will chirp once when the power is restored and should not chirp afterwards."
FireX Smoke Alarms- Alarm FAQs

Old 12-09-13, 05:42 PM
Group Moderator
I have made a copy of Joe's post (#3) about the FireX recall and put it into the Safety recall sticky for future reference.

Thanks for the great information Joe!

Old 12-09-13, 05:58 PM
Mine is older than than the recalled ones.
Kidde tells me nothing is compatible with my Firex 5000.
I would hate to replace 7 perfectly good smoke detectors; aside from the $100, there is a fair amount of labor in it.

If I replace the one Firex 12000 that supposedly needed to be replaced 2 years ago (CO detectors are said to last 5 years) with one that is not compatible and don't hook up the signal wire, will the remaining 7 still work properly? I don't see why not, but don't know much about it.
The plan would be to replace all 8 in 5 years when everything should be worn out.

Old 12-09-13, 07:39 PM
MOST manuf. recommend that all detectors on the *chain* should be of like brand, but I don't see a issue with mixing ANY brand. Obviously, testing of the alarm to confirm the interconnect would be prudent in doing such

Old 12-09-13, 07:57 PM
If I replace the one Firex 12000 that supposedly needed to be replaced 2 years ago (CO detectors are said to last 5 years) with one that is not compatible and don't hook up the signal wire, will the remaining 7 still work properly?
They probably will if you treat the wiring correctly. I'd suggest pigtailing the Blk and Wht wires and just splicing the Red wire through at the box where the 12000 series dectector is installed so the signal wire will continue to the other smokes without entering the 12000 detector at all.

Old 12-10-13, 07:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Some alarms do not play well together when you have mixed brands.