Rewiring an old building

Old 12-11-13, 06:16 AM
Rewiring an old building

Good Morning,
I have a question regarding splices in a wiring chase.
I have a junction box that will be located above a drywall ceiling and would like to eliminate it without having to run many feet of #6 three wire cable, the cable is spliced in a junction box and one feed is to an air conditioning outlet and the other to a range. I would like to move the range cable to another location in the basement ( I have enough wire to go straight through) but would like to use an underground splice kit to wire the AC cable and remove the junction box. Is this a legal way of handling it? Other wise the junction box will be in a difficult spot to access.
Thanks in advance

Last edited by pcboss; 12-12-13 at 05:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-13, 07:17 AM
would like to use an underground splice kit to wire the AC cable and remove the junction box. Is this a legal way of handling it? Other wise the junction box will be in a difficult spot to access.
No, it's not legal. The splice must be in a box that must remain accessible. The air conditioning outlet and range should be on separate circuits anyway so why not just run new 6-3 NM cable from the panel to each? I suspect you probably don't need a 50 amp circuit to the air conditioning, is it currently fused down in the disconnect?

Old 12-11-13, 08:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I will second CJ's advise above along with the question about the AC circuit size.

Old 12-12-13, 04:18 AM
Rewiring old building

Yup, I figured as much, There were a lot of ugly things done by the original building owner that I have cleaned up , But I thought it would be worth asking
Thanks for the reply

Old 12-12-13, 03:43 PM
What is the power requirement listed on the nameplate of the A/C unit?