Please help Dual Master motion sensor lights?

Old 12-13-13, 07:47 PM
Unhappy Please help Dual Master motion sensor lights?

Trying to add a second motion sensor security light to a pre-existing light in Dual Master wiring so that either motion sensor activated will turn all four flood lights on; not working so far. Using Heath Zenith fixtures from Home Depot; Defiant Model #DF-5412. Other than black to black,, white to white, ground to ground; website directed to connect the two red wires of each fixture; which I did. instead of 1, each fixture had 3 red wires pigtailed and soldered; 1 to each light and the sensor. So I connected the pigtailed red wires of each fixture. No signs of a live connection. I suppose the older fixture might have failed to complete the circuit; but I wonder about the 3 redwire pigtails. Are these not designed for Dual Master? Should I try Master-Slave; or replace the older fixture in hope of making it work. There is no toggle switch on this circuit yet; but I don't know why that would matter. The electrician just installed the first light without a switched circuit.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-13, 07:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You'll have a little trouble doing what you want since your sensors are SPST switches and not three way. You will need a constant hot to all sensors and since your SPST cuts that power the Heath units probably not going to work.

Low voltage kits are probably available as well as out-of-the box units.

Old 12-14-13, 12:22 AM
Group Moderator
You are wiring two motion sensors and four light fixtures.

You want either motion sensor to bring on all four lights.
You will connect black to black, white to white and red to red.

The two light kit will come with a crimp terminal on the red lead. You can just cut it off.

Old 12-14-13, 09:30 AM
What options with these lights?

Chandler, I think you are correct; PJmax I did cut off the crimped ends and connected all 6 red wires (3 from each fixture) but failed. So what are my options if I just use these two Heath lights, or I've a third light a Gotcha Plus GT500RW; I'd like to get these working before snow hits tonight.
The Gotcha has a red wire, but it's already connected from its sensor to 2 black wires feeding its two lights; so doesn't appear to be able to connect to another lamp.
Can I hook up any two of these fixtures on same circuit; as master/slave?
Or do they have to be on separate circuits; which won't be easy with this old house.
I can always fall back to just installing one light.
tx