line voltage thermostatic switch for COOLING

Old 12-14-13, 09:18 AM
line voltage thermostatic switch for COOLING

Long story...but I have a small closet that contains some electronics that are sometimes on and other times not on (home theater projector, amp, etc). When they are on, the closet gets warm, and this is bad for the electronics. I have installed a vent fan in the ceiling to suck the hot air out. Right now I have a standard light switch (120v AC - USA) that I flip on/off as needed to ventilate the space. I have been looking for some sort of line voltage thermostatic switch that would automatically kick on around 80-degrees F. I have easily found many such switches for turning on heating equipment when a temperature DROPS, but I need the opposite...turn on when it gets HOT. Ideally this should be pretty sensitive (not to a scientific level, but within a couple degrees). I am fine with it being pre-set at a certain temperature or I am fine with it having a knob to adjust the setpoint. This should install in/over a standard lightswitch electrical box and should be capable of driving a basic inline exhaust fan (like a bathroom vent van). And of course I would prefer to not spend more than necessary... Any idea what search term i can put into google or a specific model number that you know will work well and install easily?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-13, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
A mechanical thermostat from an older window a/c would do it.
Problem would be to make it safe and legal.

These also would work as they have both a NO and a NC contact and can be used for heating or cooling.

Old 12-14-13, 11:35 AM
Group Moderator
I use the type of control you are looking for in IT rooms where the heat load increases with demand. There are a million wall heating thermostats but you need a line voltage cooling thermostat. The model I use comes from the supply house and it's made by TPI or Robertshaw.

If you have the ability to buy from Grainger... this one would work for you.
COLUMBUS ELECTRIC - Line Voltage Thermostats - 2E340|1A22-7 - Grainger Industrial Supply

This is almost like the one I use. It's a Robertshaw 803. A better choice.
If you search that you'll find many retailers of the product.
Robertshaw - 803 -Product Detail

Old 12-14-13, 07:57 PM
Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks. I have ordered the Robertshaw 803...looks like a perfect option. Thank you so much for the suggestions.

Old 12-14-13, 09:30 PM
Group Moderator
You are very welcome. I'm sure that thermostat will work good for you.