Electrical outlet box for doorbell chime?

Old 12-15-13, 07:17 AM
Electrical outlet box for doorbell chime?

Is there such a thing? I know I don't have to do this, but I'd like to put in an electrical box behind the drywall for a doorbell chime. The chime I have is actually very small. In fact, it is smaller than a standard-sized single gang electrical box. Is there such a thing as a half-sized or smaller type of electrical box?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-13, 08:06 AM
Group Moderator
Low voltage wiring does not require a box, so in most cases we will not use one. The only thing smaller than a single gang box is a octagon box (8B) or a 4x4" box with a square to round mud ring.

Old 12-15-13, 08:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You can usually use a 4x4 box and plaster ring for a single receptacle/switch, giving adequate space for the transformer inside the 4x4 and a smaller finished opening. Option?

Scott types faster than me.

Old 12-15-13, 03:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most of the time the doorbell transformer is placed in an out of the way place (basement, attic, garage, closet). A 4x4 box is used with a blank cover plate. The transformer is mounted in one of the knockouts. This keeps the 120v in the box and the low voltage outside the box.

Something like this:

(Though the GFI receptacle is not required)

Old 12-15-13, 03:26 PM
Hi guys. I already have my transformer set up in the attic in a configuration similar to the picture that Zorfdt posted.

What I am asking about is if there is such a thing as a tiny half sized electrical box. This is for a doorbell chime going above the front door not for a doorbell transformer.

Old 12-15-13, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
No, there is not other what I posted earlier.

Old 12-15-13, 04:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The wiring is done in the chime itself, no box needed.

Old 12-16-13, 03:11 PM
If you really want it on a box for whatever reason, you could take a standard box and put a cover on it with a 1/2" hole in the middle for wires to run through. Put a grommet in the hole to protect the wires. You will have to drill and tap custom holes to mount your tiny chime though.
Low voltage does not require boxes so you can do almost anything you can come up with to box it.