daisy chain white common wires

Old 12-16-13, 07:09 AM
daisy chain white common wires

Hello and pretty sure I'm ok with doing this, just wanted to verify. I have read and looked a diagrams. The white common's can simply just be tied together, since they're just there to make the circuit, correct? I'm having to wire up, in the same box, and single pole switch with an electric socket. The issue is, is that the path of juice is having to branch off to two other electric sockets, and it is getting complicated, by having to fasten all the white wires to the sides of this one main socket. If I could simply wire nut the white together, it'd be less stiff to work the socket back into the box. Thx, DM

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-13, 08:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The neutral is necessary for circuit completion for the receptacles, but forbidden in a switch, so just bundle them together and pigtail off that to your receptacle(s). Much easier and code compliant with one wire -under one screw

Old 12-16-13, 08:37 AM
The white wires are not common, they are neutrals. In your case, the white wires in that box are all connected together with a single shorter piece of white wire of the same size as a pigtail off the wirenutted bundle. The tail connects to the receptacle in that box. You should also connect all the black hot wires with 2 similar black pigtails. 1 tail goes to the switch as the hot power feed and the other tail goes to the receptacle in that box. The remaining black wire is the switch leg and also connects to the switch.

Old 12-16-13, 10:30 AM
thank you both. that cleared up some confusion. DM

Old 12-16-13, 10:57 AM
Simply wire nutting all of the whites together (adding the pigtail to go to the receptacle) is nowadays considered the better method even if there are just two whites coming into the box, feed and continuation.