Home run wiring to a room that doesn't have electricity

Old 12-17-13, 09:48 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Home run wiring to a room that doesn't have electricity

For a room devoid of electricity, is it preferable to...
  • run wire from the panel to the room' light switch and then to all the outlets?
  • Or is it better to run the wire from the panel to the outlets first and then wire from the last outlet to the room's light switch?

Old 12-17-13, 09:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
If I were doing it, I would run two circuits, a 20 amp for all receptacles, and a 15 amp circuit for all lighting. You'll find out why the first time you need to work on one or the other in the dark. You can plug in a lamp if working on lights.

Old 12-17-13, 12:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 206 Upvotes on 179 Posts
This is simply a design issue that the code is silent on. Just run the wiring in the way that makes the most sense.

Old 12-17-13, 12:29 PM
T
I would definitely like to run two circuits, but I don't have room unless I want to upgrade the panel and that's too much time and money right now. Is there a preference that the pros have where to home run it from the panel?

Old 12-17-13, 01:26 PM
W
Received 66 Upvotes on 57 Posts
New Circuit

If a one story home with panel on the main floor, I would suggest up to the attic from the panel, through the attic, and down to the room in question. Hope this helps. Others may have other ideas. Good luck with your project and be safe.

Old 12-17-13, 02:53 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I have a single floor home built on a crawlspace. While the crawlspace is far from the most pleasant part of my home it beats the attic six ways to Sunday. The vast majority of my new wiring runs in the crawlspace.

In the attic you have to be constantly worried about a misstep sending you through the ceiling. The insulation is horrible to work in/through/around. My roof is of truss construction and a modified hip which makes much of the attic accessible ONLY by lying on your stomach (on a portable sled or boards across the ceiling joists) and slithering like a snake. Drilling down through the top plate of any exterior walls is near to impossible.

Old 12-17-13, 03:02 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I would definitely like to run two circuits, but I don't have room unless I want to upgrade the panel
It may be possible to make room in the panel you have for two new circuits by swapping out a couple of breakers.

What is the make and model of your panel? How many breakers do you have in it now? How many of your existing breakers are half-height or piggy-back breakers?

Can you post a couple of pictures - one of your existing breaker set and one of that portion of the label on the inside of the panel door that is a schematic of the breaker spaces?

Old 12-17-13, 08:04 PM
T
Oooh. Tough call. Yes. This is a one story house with a nice crawl space below the house. There is also decent attic space to for moving around. So, I guess I am lucky in that I can easily run it under the house or in the attic. I'm not too fussed about whether or not to run the wire under the house or in the attic. What I am deciding on is which electrical box to wire to first, the light switch or one of the electrical outlets.

So, assuming all else being equal. Is there a preference amongst the pros about what to wire to first? Light switch or electrical outlet for plug?

Old 12-17-13, 08:21 PM
Light switch first for a lighting circuit. Closest outlet to the panel for a receptacle circuit.

Old 12-17-13, 08:30 PM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
Current electrical code requires a neutral connection in any switch box. On the other hand the more cables/wires in a box the bigger it needs to be. If you come up from the crawlspace I would be tempted to go first to a receptacle and then a single cable to the switch. From an electrical standpoint it really doesn't matter.

Old 12-18-13, 06:11 AM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
If only one circuit then could go the old fashioned way: Panel to ceiling light box. Switch loop to wall switch. Recpts off either.

In the end it is whatever routing is easiest for you to get the cables pulled.

Old 12-18-13, 08:43 AM
Panel to ceiling light box. Switch loop to wall switch. Recpts off either.
Tech Note: Receptacles can't be fed from a regular 2-conductor switch loop because there's no neutral in the switch box, so there's not a complete circuit.

Current code requires a neutral in every switch box, and this is one of the reasons. To make that happen on a ceiling-fed circuit, you can run xx-3 cable from the ceiling box to the switch box. Feed down on black, up on red, and cap the neutral if it's not needed at the moment.

Old 12-18-13, 11:39 AM
T
I have a huge spool of leftover 12-2 electrical wire and I'd like to use that up instead of buying any more 12-3. I think that if I want to only run 12-2 wire then I have to do my home run from the panel to all of the outlets first and then wire to the switch and lights. Correct?

Old 12-18-13, 11:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 206 Upvotes on 179 Posts
You could take power to the switch,from the switch to the receptacle and another cable from the switch to the light.

Old 12-18-13, 05:25 PM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
Current code requires a neutral in every switch box
Exception to the neutral would apply since OP has unfinished space both above and below.

I was thinking finished walls so then need to make all runs vertical. If the walls are open then really just do whatever is easiest.

Pay attention to box fill issues where you have multiple cables in a box.

Don't know what the room is for but if you are considering a ceiling fan then get a fan rated box and run 12/3. A double gang box at the switch also helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: