Light Bulb Keeps Burning Out in One Light

Old 12-18-13, 04:22 PM
Lightbulb Light Bulb Keeps Burning Out in One Light

Hi,
I have two ceiling lights in my hallway. They have been there for years and I have had no issues. Now, the bulb in one of the lights keeps burning out. I replace it and a few days later it is dead. The bulbs don't exceed the max wattage for the light and nothing has changed before this happened. The lights are on a 4 way switch. The 4 way is in the middle of the circuit. I have replaced the fixture and have checked all of the connections but it is still happening.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-13, 06:12 PM
Light Bulb Burning Out

I was going to say check the socket but then I see you replaced the fixture and still have the same problem. Assuming this is an incandescent lamp you might try getting a rough service lamp (like used in a drop light) in case vibration is causing the problem (doors closing near fixture etc). You could also move the fixture that has not failed to the location of the failing fixture and see if you still have the problem.

Old 12-18-13, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

What kind of lamps are you using in the light fixture?

Old 12-19-13, 06:59 AM
40 watt incandescent. Regular bulbs from Lowes. This is an upstairs hallway so vibration should not be an issue.

Old 12-19-13, 07:02 AM
This is a second floor hallway so vibration shouldn't be an issue. I will try switching the fixtures and see what happens.

Old 12-19-13, 07:59 AM
Have you ever noticed that light getting brighter at any point? 120v circuits are half of the incoming power to your home, but a poor connection on the neutral can cause fluctuations resulting in too much voltage on some circuits and less on others. But that will often be accompanied by dimming or brightening of some lights.

Just checking.
Bud

Old 12-19-13, 07:59 AM
40 watt incandescent. Regular bulbs from Lowes. This is an upstairs hallway so vibration should not be an issue.
You might also try a different type of bulb such as a self ballasted CFL or halogen. The typical 40 watt incandesecent A-Lamps are going away on Jan 1.

Old 12-19-13, 09:15 AM
You might also try a different type of bulb such as a self ballasted CFL or halogen. The typical 40 watt incandesecent A-Lamps are going away on Jan 1.
I'm going to the supply house after school now...

Old 12-19-13, 09:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Now, the bulb in one of the lights keeps burning out. I replace it and a few days later it is dead.
Are all these replacement bulbs from one package or purchased at the same time? It's not unheard of to have a bad batch from manufacturing issues. Try a different brand or at least a bulb from another store.

Old 12-19-13, 01:25 PM
I'm going to the supply house after school now...
I believe it's the 40s and 60s scheduled to go away this time, the 100s and 75s are already gone from what I understand.

Old 12-19-13, 02:47 PM
Just saw Cree LEDs for $3.97 (or 79) for 40 watt and 5.97 for 60 watt at orange box. Coming down.

Bud