Motion Detector Light Switch

Old 12-20-13, 03:12 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Motion Detector Light Switch

I am trying to install a motion detector light switch in my garage. The light in the garage can be turned on by a switch in the garage or a switch inside the house. The switch I am replacing in the garage has two red wires on one side and a white and a black wire on the other. The new motion switch has a black wire, a red wire, a blue wire and a green wire. I cannot figure out which connects to which. Help!

Old 12-20-13, 03:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You have one more location that this lighting is switched from, as you are describing a 4 way switch. Look for it and let us know that you have found it. You won't be able to connect the motion detector to a 4 way switch. You can install it after the switching, but the switching will need to be "on" all the time for the motion sensor to work.

Old 12-20-13, 03:53 PM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you! I found a third switch that I did not know I had. That switch has a red, a black and a white wire. Can I install the motion switch there if I don't intend to use the other switches?

Old 12-20-13, 04:43 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
You can install some motion detectors in place of a 3-way switch, if they're made to do that. You might need to replace all 3 switches to get it to work though. Or, as Chandler suggested, you can set the other two switches so that the detector works and leave them alone.

Best scenario, if both the line feed from the panel and the load feed for the lights come into one of the 3-way switch boxes, you can easily install any motion detector you want there.

Which box do you want to put it in?

Old 12-20-13, 05:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Interesting post. I ran across this situation just last week. I installed three standard single pole motion sensors. You can parallel as many as you want in that situation BUT you must know exactly how the circuit is wired.

You have a single three wire cable at one end. That's good.
You have two three wire cables at your 4 way switch. Ok
What is at the other three way switch ?

You may not be able to just leave the other ones in the "on" position because you may not have a neutral where you want to put the single motion detector unless the motion detector doesn't require a neutral.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: