Just want to clean up my panel

Old 12-20-13, 05:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just want to clean up my panel

Moved in a year ago. Looked in the panel at time of inspection and it's kind of messy. What I'd like to do js install an additional bar on the left side and pull al of my ground wires to that side'and keep all my neutrals where they are presently. I just drill and tap the box for the additional bar, correct? Here is picture of my panel.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-13, 07:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Yes, you can add a ground bar to your panel. Many cases you do not need to tap holes as there are screw holes already made during the manufacture of the panel. If there is not, tap away.

Another thing that would clean up the panel is bring all your cables into the top of the panel. There may be no more holes to go through but most cable clamps are for two cables.

Old 12-20-13, 09:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Before I went through all that effort I would change out the panel.

Old 12-20-13, 01:42 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What I'd like to do js install an additional bar on the left side and pull al of my ground wires to that side'and keep all my neutrals where they are presently.
This appears to be your main panel and to have the first overcurrent protection device on your service in it. If so, there's no need to separate grounds from neutrals in it, unless your bond between neutral and ground - your grounding electrode conductor or EGC - is created somewhere upstream, like in your meter base.

In fact, if your EGC is connected in this panel, then all grounds and neutrals, including branch circuit grounds and neutrals, need to be bonded together, to the enclosure, to the utility neutral and to a low-impedance path to ground here.

Before I went through all that effort I would change out the panel.
In a heartbeat. In a New York second. Without a second thought.

BTW, what's going on in that 8-b box on the right that looks like it might have two circuits fed into it?

Old 12-20-13, 06:27 PM
Thanks. Yep. Already thought about that. Actually, there will be some cables coming out of the top so I'll have room for re-routing the wires to the top. Connverted major appliances to natural gas so there will be some big cables being pulled out. Going to leave the wiring there in case things change but for the time being the range, water heater, and dryer are all gas. Will leave breakers in place. Thanks for the reply.
Merry Christmas
Joei

Old 12-22-13, 11:48 AM
All that effort?? What effort? Hour or so of work and $5.00 bar. I don't quite follow your reasoning. Am I missing something?

Old 12-22-13, 01:43 PM
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
All that effort?? What effort? Hour or so of work and $5.00 bar. I don't quite follow your reasoning. Am I missing something?
Before I wasted just an hour on it, I'd just leave it like it is, a mess. To do it right will require removing/reinstalling many of the cables correctly to do it right. I'd think no less than about 4 hours for someone who does this type of work frequently; more for a DIYer.