Drop-down outlets

Old 12-22-13, 02:02 PM
Drop-down outlets

I want to install two power outlets above my work area in a basement work room from two separate circuits. Ceiling is open. Power is available at nearby junction boxes in same room in ceiling. How is the best way to do this. My thoughts were:

Run wiring from junction boxes inside joist spaces to near bench in ceiling. Then into stiff conduit to complete the drop-down' and anchor the conduit to joists for stiffness. run conduits vertically down to about 3 ft from table top to boxes connected back-to-back, locking conduit and boxes together for more rigidity.

A. Do I need any kind of transition when entering the conduit with the wiring (within joist space...no splice)

B. Do I need any additional structural stiffening of the assembly...how much stiffness is enough?

C. Any better ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-13, 02:18 PM
I mounted several boxes at joist level and just made short (about 3 foot long) extensions to keep my cords from getting in the way of cutting blades or other work area. I drilled through the center of the joist and ran my cable through to each box, series like. The boxes are at ceiling level. I only use these for portable tools like drills, trouble lights, sabre saw,etc... My main bench and table saw is plugged into an outlet against the back wall and behind pegboard to hide the cord and keep it out of the way. Those are also at ceiling level, but bringing down the electrical outlet along the wall in conduit to say just below bench level seems like a good idea.

Old 12-22-13, 02:29 PM
forgot to mention that the work area 5 ft x 5 ft is in middle of room away from walls to be able to work from all sides. The outlets would be above and in the middle of the table area.

Old 12-22-13, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
Cord drops are the best way to get power to tools not near a wall. Just run the cable to a ceiling box, then use SO cord to drop it from the ceiling to the level you want. You can either just put a single cord cap on the end of the cord, or install a 4x4" steel box with a duplex or fourplex receptacles and industrial plate.

Old 12-22-13, 04:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You will need strain relief fitting on the flex cords.

A bushing is required on the end of the conduit sleeve where the cable enters the sleeve.

Old 12-22-13, 05:30 PM
Here is one type of strain relief if you use a box:

Name:  l13a_diagram.jpg
Views: 2530
Size:  13.0 KB

Source: Hubbell catalog.

Old 12-22-13, 06:10 PM
Look up Woodhead products. The last company I worked for did commercial projects and used Woodhead stuff exclusively for any watertight/dustproof areas such as woodshops at schools. I very much liked their products and they were easy to work with when doing drops.