Dead circuits in 2 old houses

Old 12-26-13, 02:13 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Dead circuits in 2 old houses

In 2 old rent houses, the breakers check out fine, good ohms, volts going out. no gcfis. but yet we can't get power to the ends of the circuit. it's like the line & load have been disconnected in the 12g wire somewhere. one house was already like this, the other just started. I don't know if they wired it in the wrong configuration (series instead of parallel) er vice versa (can't remember which is the right one). I'm guessing there is a short at a socket, switch, fan, light or wire and its braking the whole circuit. what can I do except replace everything? thanks

Old 12-26-13, 02:21 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The problem is almost always at the last working or first non-working receptacle or fixture in the circuit. I would start looking for a loose connection.

Old 12-26-13, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
I changed your title to better describe the actual problem.

It's not going to be a short as that would trip the breaker. Your problem is going to be an open current carrying conductor..... either hot or neutral.

You're going to have to pull out the devices on the non working part of the circuit. Like Mitch mentioned..... there will probably be some working devices on the circuit so the problem is at the last working device in the circuit or the first dead one.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: