what size cable to run

Old 12-26-13, 08:34 PM
what size cable to run

need to run power to my shop 700-800ft away from my meter pole and the main breaker box that services my house. would like some info before I talk with an electrician to make it sound like I have a clue or at least an idea of what he is saying. Just curious here in Texas what would be a rough cost estimate on running the wire and conduit per foot and what size and type of wire and conduit needed, trying to run 120v table saw, compressor and the like, don't think I will need 220v. Someone said a 30amp breaker would due but I am a novice at electrical. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-13, 08:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your cable size will be determined by your load and expected voltage drop. Even with minimal loads you are looking at serious voltage drop at that distance.

Old 12-26-13, 08:43 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

For starters.........

You may not need 240v but you'd run a 240v service. Your loads get split across the legs. More power with less wiring.

700-800 feet is a LONG run for electric. I can see a 60A sub feed service at a minimum. You will probably need to run at least #4 power wires and possibly even #2's.

Do you plan to dig from your service to the garage ?
You could use PVC conduit which is what I'd do or you can use a direct burial type of wire.

Old 12-26-13, 08:56 PM
thanks all for the quick responses, I do plan to bury the cable and I was thinking if I did it myself I could save some money, but I get the sense it is going to be an expensive job to get done correctly. may need to go to plan B and get a mid-sized propane generator.....

Old 12-27-13, 10:04 AM
If you were any good at cut and paste projects in Kindergarten, you can easily run the PVC yourself.
And if you get lucky and get a good electrician, he may even walk you through anything you and a buddy could handle yourself as well (ex: pulling wire, mounting new panel, etc.)

Old 12-27-13, 04:26 PM
Group Moderator
A conduit run at that distance would be quite a difficult pull and you would for sure need equipment to do it. Plus the fact that you would likely need to special order long continuous lengths of wire unless you install pull points along the run. I suggest direct burial wire for starters and avoid the conduit all together.

If it was me, I would look into having the power company run a 2nd service to the building.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 12-28-13 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-27-13, 05:25 PM
I do plan to bury the cable and I was thinking if I did it myself I could save some money, but I get the sense it is going to be an expensive job to get done correctly.
Most jurisdictions will require a permit and some even allow the homeowner to take out the permit and do the work too.