Any Pulsar generator users with opinions?

Old 12-27-13, 03:22 AM
Any Pulsar generator users with opinions?

I just survived the Michigan power outage from the ice storm. My 5000 watt generac died from a gunked up carb from too many years of non-use.

Just in time, I heard that Menards had just gotten a shipment in. I went and bought a Pulsar PG7500 generator with electric start (battery included) for $699. I want to thank Menards for such a low price. Even Amazon is not that low of a price and I have seen it listed for over $1000 on other sites.

I searched on line and can find no good information on this generator. I did find that Pulsar is a new company which started in January 2013...O,O!

The generator performed great for a day and a half till the power came back on. It ran smooth. Fairly low noise compared to the generac. No surging or popping. A joy to start with the push of a button.

Soooo, my question is, anyone had trouble with theirs? You think I can expect a long life from this generator?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-13, 08:50 AM
Group Moderator
I think much depends on how you take care of it. You mention that you killed your last one with improper care. The new generator will suffer the same fate if you don't learn how to properly put an engine into long term storage.

Old 12-27-13, 09:14 AM
The current ethanol gas needs to be removed or treated. Check the oil change frequency, a day and a half may already suggest one. Mine says every 20 hours. If you can locate some ethanol free fuel and run it once a month it should last a very long time. The key to its longevity will be, as pilot said, proper care and little use. Typically these sub $2,000 generators were not built for continuous use, but they decorate the garage just fine, and, maybe work when needed.

Unfortunately, after a few years we forget how miserable "no power" can be and we get lax.

Bud

Old 12-27-13, 11:43 AM
Please explain the ethanol comment. Whats wrong with ethanol and why does a once-a-month trunning help?

Old 12-27-13, 12:14 PM
Group Moderator
Gas evaporates and leaves behind varnish and ethanol byproducts. Ethanol is an alcohol byproduct from grain distillation and leaves a sticky residue behind when the alcohol evaporates.

The best thing you can do is to shut off the gas supply to the carburetor and let the generator run dry so that there is little to no gas left in the carb.

Old 12-27-13, 02:22 PM
PJ covered it, but to add emphasis, search "can ethanol damage my generator", then for more emphasis, substitute any small engine for the word generator to get specifics. The problems have become a major headache for home owners. Lawn care, snow blowers, 4 wheelers, anything you own. Mandating ethanol has caused millions upon millions of dollars in damage.

As for starting it once a month, any engine that sits unused is at risk, with or without ethanol. It keeps the internal parts freshly lubricated and adds confidence that it will start next time it is needed and that doesn't always mean just storm season.

Bud

Old 12-27-13, 03:28 PM
Does stabilizer prevent breakdown of both gas and alcohol?
I will be much for preventive maintainence minded now. This was the worst power outage experience I have ever had.
Menards recommended their 10w30 oil so that is what I used. I also purchased a jug of good synthetic 5w30 to use after its first good break in period. You you recommend the synthetic?

Old 12-27-13, 03:38 PM
Group Moderator
Another problem with ethanol is that it absorbs moisture. As the temperature or air pressure changes most fuel tanks breath a little bit. Each breath brings in fresh air containing moisture that the alcohol absorbs. I've read that ethanol blended fuel has a 90 day shelf life in a sealed container and in a vented tank it may be as short as a month or two.

Even with gas preservatives like Sta-Bil gas still goes bad. Over time the lighter components of fuel evaporate off leaving fuel that is more difficult to ignite. Fuel stabilizers do work and do help prevent varnish and other fuel related problems but they do have limits so you should have have any fuel around in cans or sitting in a machine's fuel tank that's a year old and much younger would be better.

One trick that I do is to go to my local general aviation airport and buy some 100LL AVGAS (just call it avgas or 100 low lead). It's refined to a much higher level than auto gas and is designed for a long shelf life and stability. It does contain lead so I don't run machines on it long term but at the end of a season I'll start running it in small engines that I don't feel like properly winterizing.

Old 12-27-13, 03:44 PM
The synthetic question is one I intended to ask. I don't have a battery hooked up for the electric start and I had to park mine in front of my truck exhaust for 30 minutes so it would pull over with a bit of speed. Worked, but it won't always be mobile. I'm running 5w30 for now.

All I know about the stabilizer is what I have read online, but it seems to be a good place to start. My next step will be to locate some ethanol free fuel. Airplanes use, but the closest location near me is 30 miles away.

Bud

Old 12-27-13, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
Good point about absorbing water.
Basically, dry gas is nothing more than alcohol that absorbs the moisture and turns it into a "burnable" product. In a car it's not too noticeable. In a small engine... it causes unstable idle and operation.