Generac Generator Installation

Old 12-27-13, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Generac Generator Installation

Hello,
I'm going to have a 7 Kw Generac standby generator installed.

Is it acceptable to install the unit next to my Heat Pump?

Thanks,

FF

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23577[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-13, 10:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 315 Votes on 289 Posts
I would say no if you follow their/NFPA installation guidelines. Here is a link to the Generac installation location .pdf.

Old 12-27-13, 10:31 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You didn't specify whether you are getting the 8kw model rated 7kw with NG or the 7kw Core Power unit rated 6kw NG. If it's the Core Power 7kw unit the guidelines are different and can be found here:

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect....wg_01-2013.pdf

At any rate, you don't want exhaust heat anywhere near your A/C - comes out of both sides of the Core Power unit.

Old 12-27-13, 01:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
Can you step back and give us a larger picture of the side of your house.
You will probably have to enlarge the pad area.

Old 12-27-13, 01:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
The building or fire code may require a minimum clearance from the building. I have heard five foot minimums or greater.

Old 12-27-13, 03:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Can not have it near that dryer vent or any window or door openings.

Old 12-27-13, 04:14 PM
I am about to install a smaller generator than you are looking in to at home too, the city permits dept told me it has to be 8 feet from the wall of the home.

Two people died of CO poisoning in Ontario this week during their ice storm, it seeped in to the house while they slept.

Old 12-28-13, 08:16 AM
If it's the 7kw Core power unit, just look at the pdf link that I posted above, then check with your town. Simple, simple. If it's the 8kw model yielding 7kw on natural gas look at the link provided by Pilot Dane. FairwayFatty, the OP, has not indicated which one and has not posted since his original question.

Old 01-01-14, 10:48 AM
Thanks for all the responses. The unit is the 7kw Core Power

We have been in our house for 6 years. In that time we have lost power one time of significance for approximately a 12 hour period. I don't foresee heavy usage of the unit but have always wanted for "just in case" scenarios.

I have a new question:
I prefer not to use the auto-switch capabilities and would like to manually disconnect the main and manually select the circuits I wish to power then start the unit. I have looked thru the manual but did not find anything on an installation for that method.

I would like to be able to start the unit from the inside of the house.

Has anyone out there installed a unit in this manner?

Thanks for the replies!
FF

Old 01-01-14, 11:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
What you would like to do is usually done with a portable generator. You can use a manually selectable breaker transfer panel like in the picture below.
Name:  9402_large.jpg
Views: 2619
Size:  26.7 KB

If you don't want that type of transfer switch and since you are not using an automatic transfer switch you'd need a panel lockout kit. You would have to go to the panel manufacturer and get the UL listed kit or panel cover for that panel as most inspectors won't allow the generic lockout. Since you are permanently installing a generator.... all phases of it's installation will be inspected.

You could use a manual transfer switch like I've got. It still involves major wiring between the meter and the main panel.

Name:  transfer_switch.jpg
Views: 7578
Size:  9.2 KB

A basic toggle switch connected to the generator start lines will start it remotely.
Also, you'll need a small battery charger for the genset battery as it's usually built in to the automatic transfer switch.

Old 01-01-14, 11:25 AM
There are many other issues besides just transferring power. The unit is designed to work with a Generac automatic transfer switch, including its battery charging function. A manual switch designed for portable generators (even Generac brand) will not have all the wiring connections that you need. The automatic mode is necessary for the weekly exercise required to maintain serviceable condition. There may be warranty issues with a non-standard installation and failure to use the exercise feature.

It might be wise to rethink your plan and just pick the most essential circuits that will fit your transfer switch and available power. You bought an automatic standby generator, why not just use it as designed?