Wanting to run 230 service to my shop from the house

Old 12-27-13, 01:16 PM
Wanting to run 230 service to my shop from the house

I am wanting to run 230 service from the house to my shop to run a 15 amp air compressor and a welder or plasma cutter. The max amperage on either of those would be 40 amps. Would it be possible to make a single run from the house to the shop using a larger double pole breaker and heavy gauge wire and split it off into two circuits at a panel in the shop? The run would be about 40' and enclosed in conduit. If so, what would be the breaker size and wire gauge?

If not, would I run 2 double pole breakers and wire for each, in the same conduit to the shop?

I appreciate the help. I am by no means an electrician.

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-13, 02:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Correct, a double pole breaker could feed a small panel at the outbuilding. The small panel would split into the branch circuits. Sounds like a 50 amp panel fed with #6 wire would be fine in 1 inch PVC conduit.

You can search this board for sub panel to get a better idea of what is involved.

Old 12-27-13, 02:46 PM
Would it be possible to make a single run from the house to the shop using a larger double pole breaker and heavy gauge wire and split it off into two circuits at a panel in the shop? The run would be about 40' and enclosed in conduit. If so, what would be the breaker size and wire gauge?
By code you would have to and abandon any existing power to the shop. Code permits only one feed. You would install a subpanel at the shop. You might squeak by with a 60 amp feed if you didn't use the welder and cutter at the same time but better would be a 100 amp feed. For that you would need three #3 THWN (copper) and one #8 THWN. Minimum conduit size would be 1".

See PCBoss' post for 50 amp feed info.