Flexible armor around UF cable?

Old 12-27-13, 02:52 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flexible armor around UF cable?

I'm wiring a mini-split air conditioner. My understanding is that because the compressor unit is outside, NM cable may not be used, but UF cable is acceptable.

I have run UF cable from the breaker to the disconnect on the outside wall of the house. I need to run cable from the disconnect to the compressor unit. Is it acceptable to put UF cable in flexible metal conduit? I believe that it's not required, but it seems like a good idea to add that layer of protection for the cable.

Old 12-27-13, 03:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 161 Upvotes on 141 Posts
NM can be run on the inside portion to the disconnect.

I would run nonmetallic liquid-tight conduit with individual conductors to the unit from the disconnect. The metal will rust in a short period.

Old 12-27-13, 05:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 660 Upvotes on 560 Posts
Flexible metal conduit is not allowed in wet locations anymore. I suggest using liquid tight flexible conduit, either the non-metallic as PC mentioned or metallic. I find the metallic kind easier to work with.

FYI - The mini splits I have wired, I run the UF with the line-set between the inside and outside units. The theory being there will be more care around the line-set then just UF cable.

Old 01-17-14, 01:28 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Liquid Tight flex , either metallic or non-metallic . I used it for both the line voltage and low voltage cabling .

MiniSplitCondensor07-08-2013_zpsaf78ed8f.jpg Photo by WyrTwister | Photobucket

Also notice the pull disconnect .

I had not finished insulating the service valves and last few inches of the lines , in that photo .

God bless
Wyr

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: