Rewire receptacle so it's not switched

Old 12-27-13, 01:54 PM
Rewire receptacle so it's not switched

Hi everyone, this is my first post on here, but I've been reading through the forums trying to find a solution for a few weeks now. I have a basic knowledge of electrical wiring, but I'm definitely a novice.

In my living room, I have 3 sets of outlets that have what I consider to be a ridiculous wiring system: There is a switch on the wall, when it is in the "up" position, the top outlet in each receptacle is on and the bottom outlet is off. When the switch is in the "down" position, the top outlets are off and the bottom outlets are on.

What I'd really like is for one outlet in each receptacle to always be hot, while the other is switched. Alternatively, if I could just switch one of the 3 sets to always be hot, and leave the rest as-is, that would be fine too.

I've included a diagram that I made of a receptacle in the middle of the circuit that I'd like to change. The wires that look like they're not going to a screw are inserted directly into the back of the receptacle, and look like they can't be removed.

I've purchased a new receptacle which doesn't have the sockets in the back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'm really at my wits' end on this one.

Thanks so much in advance!!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-13, 02:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The wires can be removed by inserting a small screwdriver into the slot on the back.

Is the switch a three way or a single pole?

Old 12-27-13, 04:59 PM
Not sure

I'm not sure, here's a diagram.

Attached Images  
Old 12-27-13, 05:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The one half should be on all the time while the other half is switched. I cannot figure out why one is going off when the other goes on.

That switch shown is a single pole, not a three way. If it were a three way I could see your setup working as you describe.

Old 12-27-13, 05:11 PM
Strange

I hear you, I genuinely don't understand why it's working this way. Here's a picture of the actual switch in case that helps.

Attached Images  
Old 12-27-13, 05:21 PM
Group Moderator
The switch in your picture is a three way switch and shouldn't be.

Old 12-27-13, 05:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is a three way switch. Turn off the power and remove the wires from the switch after labeling which terminal they were connected to. Find the one that is hot and connect it to one of the other wires along with a short pigtail to power the switch. Connect the pigtail to one screw of a single pole switch and the other colored wire to the other screw of the switch. Restore power and test.

Old 12-27-13, 05:23 PM
Cool, so you think if I buy a single-pole switch and swap it out, I should be good? I'll give it a crack, thanks!

Old 12-27-13, 06:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Let us know how it works out.

Old 12-28-13, 09:50 AM
It worked!

It worked great, thanks! I was able to get a switch that's made for two wires to go to one screw, so no need to pigtail. You guys are the best!! Here's a picture of the finished job.

Edit - For some reason, the site won't let me upload the pic of the finished job, sorry.