Installing conduit body to outside shed wall.

Old 12-29-13, 10:08 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing conduit body to outside shed wall.

I am running power from my home breaker panel to outside shed. Aldready installed conduit body at the panel. Now installing conduit body at the shed wall and it looks like pictures below:

How do I secure this conduit body to the shed wall? Is it ok to use pvc strap shown below secured to the 2x4?

Name:  2013-12-28 20.50.48.jpg
Views: 35851
Size:  23.5 KB

Name:  2013-12-28 20.49.43.jpg
Views: 19454
Size:  15.7 KB

Name:  2013-12-28 21.48.59.jpg
Views: 13754
Size:  29.5 KB

Old 12-29-13, 10:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A plastic pvc strap would be fine to mount the LB.

Old 12-30-13, 02:21 AM
B
I'm thinking of cutting about 1.5" off that conduit pipe and securing it with a pvc strap, the outside wall will have those straps securing the pipe along the outside wall.

Old 12-30-13, 05:42 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Looks like the wrong LB to me.
In most cases it should come out the back not the side.
Going to be a whole lot harder to work with the cover and pull the wires mounted like that.
I would have also not have used that straight piece sticking out like that.
I'd have used an elbow instead to make it easier to pull the wire and not have it chafe.
Carlon 1/2 in. Non-Metallic Conduit Body-E986D-CTN at The Home Depot

Old 12-30-13, 08:54 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Without seeing the outside wall of the shed it's impossible to determine if an LB or LR would be the proper fitting.

Old 12-30-13, 10:19 AM
B
re: conduit body type

Yeah, when I went to home depot they were out of the one that opens in the back. I did get the last one they had for the house connection, but this was all they had left. It may be more difficult but what I'm hoping is that it isn't against code to install it in the manner I'm suggesting. I do have to go back for some other stuff so I may just return it. My hole is close to the 2x4 so I'm wondering if it's ok to mount it to the 2x4 with a strap. The wire will then go down to connect to a GFCI outlet, be run to another two GFCI outlets, then a switch and a light bulb. Wires will be concealed behind rigid insulation and drywall, so I wasn't thinking about doing much pulling, it will be mostly open wires inside so I was just going to measure the distance, cut the wire, and install it. The wire is direct burial cable 2' under ground.

Old 12-30-13, 04:57 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
It may be more difficult but what I'm hoping is that it isn't against code to install it in the manner I'm suggesting. I do have to go back for some other stuff so I may just return it. My hole is close to the 2x4 so I'm wondering if it's ok to mount it to the 2x4 with a strap.
It's not against code, but it would be easier and more professional looking to use an LB condulet fitting. The conduit can be strapped to the 2X4.

The wire will then go down to connect to a GFCI outlet, be run to another two GFCI outlets, then a switch and a light bulb. Wires will be concealed behind rigid insulation and drywall, so I wasn't thinking about doing much pulling, it will be mostly open wires inside so I was just going to measure the distance, cut the wire, and install it. The wire is direct burial cable 2' under ground.
I see, you are just using the conduit/fittings to sleeve the UF cable where it comes out of the ground and enters the shed. I assume that by "open wire inside" you mean UF-B or NM-B cable and not open individual conductors.

Old 12-30-13, 05:30 PM
B
open wires

Yep, exactly. I mean by open (not a good use of terminology perhaps) the wire is not installed in conduit, which I would do if the walls were without something to protect the cables, drywall, etc. the only conduit used is to protect the direct burial cable on the outside wall coming into the shed. That one bend is going to be awkward so if I need to go back to home depot soon I'll replace it... if not, it looks like it should work alright. But for a home job surely looks better than what I saw on youtube! Yikes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: