whole house surge protection

Old 12-28-13, 09:46 AM
whole house surge protection

I would like to put surge protection in my square D QO panels. I have two 200amp main panels. I was thinking of using this-one in each panel:

Square D by Schneider Electric QO SurgeBreaker Surge Protective Device Takes 2 Load Center Spaces-QO2175SB at The Home Depot

Is this what I am looking for, or should I look elsewhere? Now these essentially occupy a double pole breaker spot on top of panel. I can make room for them, but one of the panels has wires for a 100 amp subpanel on the top two spots of one side. should I also put one of these in the subpanel?

What about protection for my cable? I get phone, cable and internet from one cable so just wanted to protect it as well.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-13, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
I've installed the Square D surge protectors before. They appear to be very effective. I haven't had a problem in the houses I've installed them in.

Normally, the surge protector is only installed in the main panel.

Make sure the cable has a ground block on it outside the house. It should be at the point where the cable enters the house. It should have its own ground rod connected with #8 copper wire.

Name:  cable.gif
Views: 2801
Size:  26.0 KB

Old 12-28-13, 09:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome back Bill.

I have one of those in my panel and have had no issues. I like that it has the light to show when it has stopped providing protection. You will still need protection for any phone or cable lines. I do not think you sub panel would need one.

I will be out your way in the next week or so.

Old 12-28-13, 10:46 AM
hey thanks. Been a while since been on here. I just looked and Verizon FIOS has a Network Interface Device outside right next to my disconnects. Their wire enters the box and within the box is a ground that attaches directly to the wire going to the ground rod. It measures 0.104 in diameter, which looks closest to #10? The wire to ground rod measures 0.164, closest to #6. Verizon installed it when I switched to them about 6 months ago. Interestingly the wire going to the house and connected the two disconnects is larger than the wire going to ground rod. Seems like it should at least be the same?

Old 12-28-13, 10:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The wire to the rods from your panel never needs to be larger than #6. For water lines it will be larger.

Old 12-28-13, 04:48 PM
What about protection for my cable? I get phone, cable and internet from one cable so just wanted to protect it as well.
Your fiber optic connection is much safer than a metallic (coaxial cable) connection when it comes to surges and such. The ONT (Optical Network Terminal) is grounded as you have noted. You CAN purchase a surge suppressor for the either the coaxial cable or the Ethernet cable (whichever is used in your case) if you are really concerned.. Since you have television programing in the fiber you most likely have a coax connection from the ONT to the router and a tee connection to the inside TV cable. The telephone is via a separate four-pair (usually) cable that runs from the ONT to the connection point of the inside telephone wiring. There are also surge suppressors for the voice wiring available.

Whether or not you need suppression on the coax interconnect or the voice cabling is somewhat dependent on how long these cables are and how they are run. If they are reasonably short then I wouldn't worry unless lightening storms are common in your area.