Fuse Panel Amperage Question for Electric Cooktop

Old 12-28-13, 01:23 PM
Question Fuse Panel Amperage Question for Electric Cooktop

I need to replace my electric cooktop. My fusebox has two 30-amp cartridge fuses dedicated to "range." The current cooktop (made in 1994) is only 29-amp, but all cooktops nowadays require 40 amps. The wall oven and cooktop are both on this same circuit (when I pull the switch, both stop working).

The fuse panel diagram chart says "31-60 amp fuses" for the "range switch" so are these two cartridge fuses combined on the same circuit to equal 60 amps; or are they more likely 30 amps each (one for oven and one for cooktop).

The wall oven is rated at only 20 amps.

Large image of fuse box: http://hoffmancreations.com/DSC00110.JPG

Name:  DSC00110c.jpg
Views: 7934
Size:  43.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-13, 01:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Each leg is fused at whatever the fuse rating is. You do not add the two together.

Old 12-28-13, 01:37 PM
You need two fuses for 240 volts so if there are only two 30 amp fuses that is what you have, 30 amps. Assuming #10 wire the fuses can't be increased with out changing the feed.

You are going to have to run 6-3 NM-b (black, red, white plus ground) to a junction box between the stove and oven* and change to 60 amp fuses. You will run a feed for a stove receptacle (NEMA 14-50r) from there and and connect the whip from the oven to the junction box.

*Junction box should be close enough to the oven for the whip to reach.

Last edited by Posternine; 12-28-13 at 01:57 PM.