Older Panel Safe, Up to Code?

Old 12-28-13, 07:41 PM

My girlfriend owns a home built in 1965 in Michigan. Upon doing some electrical work the other day I went to turn off the breakers and noticed she has no main shut breaker shut off and the panel is one of the oldest looking I've seen. While I have some electrical knowledge this panel seems ancient and I was just curious how safe it is and if it is up to code for insurance purposes. She's willing to replace it if necessary and the cost is not astronomical. Thanks for any help or suggestions. Attached is an image of the panel.

Name:  image (1).jpg
Views: 283
Size:  28.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-13, 07:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There may be a main breaker or disconnect ahead of that panel.

Given the size it may not be that expensive to replace. Local estimates will be more accurate than a guess based on a photo.

Old 12-29-13, 05:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Looks like a subpanel.
See if there's another box in the house or the main may even be outside.

Old 12-29-13, 06:45 AM
Up to today's code? Not a chance. There may or may not be a main disconnect ahead of this panel, but the biggest issue that pops out to me is that GE never made a circuit breaker with a red handle. The two red handled circuit breakers are likely Bryant breakers and should not be in that old GE panel. The whole service, not just the panel, needs to be evaluated and possibly replaced. Can you provide some pictures of the outside meter socket, service entrance wiring and weatherhead?

Old 12-29-13, 08:12 AM
Thanks for all the help suggestions so far. There is no other panel inside or outside the home. That panel is tied directly into the meter outside the garage. Name:  meter.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  15.4 KB

Old 12-29-13, 11:15 AM
I see mismatched breakers, more than 6 handles in a main lug panel, and the whole thing is painted. I'd replace it if I was you.

Old 12-29-13, 01:19 PM
I'd just put in a new 100 amp service, everything and not just the panel. It isn't that expensive.

Old 12-29-13, 02:02 PM
CasualJoe,

Is that something I could handle on my own or is that a definite electrician job?

Old 12-29-13, 02:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most places are going to require permits and inspections before the power is restored. Some areas restrict permits to only licensed contractors.

Old 12-29-13, 04:49 PM
CasualJoe,

Is that something I could handle on my own or is that a definite electrician job?
pcboss
Most places are going to require permits and inspections before the power is restored. Some areas restrict permits to only licensed contractors.
Pcboss is right, most areas will require permits and inspections before power is reconnected. In my area a homeowner can take out his own permits and do his own electrical work if he passes a test, but replacing a service isn't something that is allowed by a homeowner, it must be a licensed contractor.

Old 12-29-13, 09:51 PM
Around here, anyone can install a service. There's even a few houses where the services are in PVC plumbing pipe. Call your power company and see what they require.