Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Switched outlet, with LED lighted switch - expected behavior?

Old 12-29-13, 03:03 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've recently replaced some outlets and one of them was a switched outlet.

I basically replicated the old wiring and everything seems to work fine but I get some odd results that I'm hoping you can shed some light on.

Background:
1. No ground wires. All metal housing for receptacles.
2. The new wall switch has an LED backlight that lights up when off.
3. The bottom of the switched outlet is constant power and the top is activated by the wall switch.

My outlet tester shows the switched outlet as correct but it's LEDs faintly light up when the wall switch is off - is the wall switch providing some minimal power that causes this to happen?

With a floor lamp plugged in and the wall switch in "off" position, the LED backlight on the wall switch does odd stuff:
Floor lamp off = very faint LED backlight
Floor lamp low power = faint LED backlight
Floor lamp high power = LED backlight is bright like normal

The floor lamp appears to work just fine with the wall switch. I do not have an analog voltmeter to verify the amp/voltage coming from the switched outlet.

Any thoughts? Should I be concerned?

Old 12-29-13, 03:45 PM
A
Received 294 Upvotes on 269 Posts
Illuminated switches rely on a light fixture that does not have its own switch and with a lamp of more than just a few watts in the fixture to complete the circuit for the switch light.

The faintly glowing switch light was probably fed by phantom voltage (induced current) from the hot and neutral wires be\yond the switch running juxtaposed in a Romex cable etc.

Old 12-29-13, 08:48 PM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks Allan!

That would explain it. I was ready to pull my hair out over this one because it seemed so straight-forward.

I didn't understand the lighted switch concept until you explained it.

Cheers,

.Miles

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: