Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Adding 450W electric heater to bedroom 15A outlet circuit (with AFCI)

Old 12-30-13, 09:54 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm planning to wire a 120V 450W radiant cove heater to a 15A AFCI-protected bedroom outlet circuit. I'm experienced with 120V wiring. I plan to use a TPI CV4512X cove heater and a Honeywell RLV4305A1000 line voltage thermostat. The circuit currently services only the outlets in this bedroom. It's my understanding that the NEC allows a fixed appliance of up to 50% if the circuit capacity on an outlet circuit, so I'm OK there. And, I don't believe a hard-wired electric heater in the bedroom requires an AFCI, but I think it's allowed. Yes, I already know that it is recommended to put electric heaters on a dedicated circuit, but this is only 450W. Am I right in all this, and do you see any problems with this plan?

Old 12-30-13, 10:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Upvotes on 760 Posts
Everything sounds OK to me as long as the circuit will handle it..

Old 12-30-13, 10:15 AM
G
Thanks TI, I usually do a lot of homework before I do something like this, but I still wanted to get some feedback on my plan before I start.

Old 12-30-13, 10:34 AM
G
One question. NEC 424.19 requires a "disconnecting means". In a single family dwelling, does the thermostat need to have a positive "OFF" position, or can the panel circuit breaker serve as the "disconnecting means"?

Old 12-30-13, 12:24 PM
G
Well I think I have discovered a major flaw in my plan. Apparently the 2008 NEC tightened up the requirements for "disconnect means". None of the programmable line-voltage thermostats have a positive "off" position, and the DPST bimetal thermostats that would meet the requirements are notoriously inaccurate. So, if I'm going to do this to code I'm going to change the plan a bit.

Old 12-30-13, 01:31 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Usually a permanently mounted lockout on the breaker will satisfy the requirement.
422.31 Disconnection of Permanently Connected Appliances
(A) Rated at Not over 300 Volt-Amperes or ⅛ Horsepower.
For permanently connected appliances rated at not over 300 volt-amperes or ⅛ hp, the branch-circuit overcurrent device shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means.
(B) Appliances Rated over 300 Volt-Amperes.
For permanently connected appliances rated over 300 volt-amperes, the branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance or is capable of being locked in the open position. The provision for locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting means shall be installed on or at the switch or circuit breaker used as the disconnecting means and shall remain in place with or without the lock installed.

Old 12-30-13, 02:51 PM
G
Can a lockout be permanently mounted on a AFCI breaker in a residential panel?

Old 12-30-13, 03:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 204 Upvotes on 178 Posts
You should be able to mount the lockout over the AFCI breaker.

Old 12-30-13, 05:23 PM
G
"You should be able to mount the lockout over the AFCI breaker."

Now that would be nice. To be "permanently mounted", that means that it's somehow attached to the panel or the breaker itself?

Old 12-30-13, 06:22 PM
M
To be "permanently mounted", that means that it's somehow attached to the panel or the breaker itself?
I just looked at the lockouts in my panel (a Square D Homeline). Not sure exactly how they're mounted, but it looks like the only way to remove them is by removing the breaker.

Old 12-30-13, 10:05 PM
G
Mine are Siemens Type QAF. I found the locking device for it, a Siemens ECPLD1. They are easy to find and are just a few bucks. Not sure about the installation, but the installation instructions say "To install, press the padlocking assembly onto the circuit breaker (The barbs on the lock mount will cause this to be a snug fit)." Doesn't sound "permanent" to me, but I haven't seen one up close so who knows.

Edit: I think you have to remove the front from the panel when you install the locking device. So the panel front (deadfront) holds the padlocking device on.

Last edited by garya505; 12-30-13 at 10:27 PM.
Old 12-30-13, 11:24 PM
G
The padlocking device looks like this

Siemens ECPLD1 photo attached.

Attached Images  
Old 12-31-13, 08:48 AM
P
Yes, I'd say permanent since the cover holds it in place.

Old 01-13-14, 10:32 AM
G
Yes, I picked one up on Amazon for about 6 bucks so I could take a look. Installation seems easy, just remove the panel cover, push it onto the AFCI, then replace the panel cover. It's a very clever invention indeed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: