removing light switch permanantly

Old 12-30-13, 02:29 PM
removing light switch permanantly

Okay, so I have very basic electrical knowledge. I have replaced light fixtures, ceiling fans, light switches & dimmers, outlets. all successfully. I now have a light switch that controls an outlet that my TV and internet is plugged in to. I'd like to get rid of the switch so that its not accidentally switched off while in use. I went out and bought a blank to cover the opening for where the switch was. I shut off the power and unscrewed the switch. I thought it would be simple and I would just take the two wires the (hot lead and wire going to outlet) and tie them together with a wire nut. But what I found was the supply wire wasn't cut, but was stripped in the middle and wrapped around the screw on the switch. Can i just wrap the wire going to the outlet around that wire and tape it with electrical tape? so it would be a T connection? what are my other options?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-13, 02:43 PM
Basically cut the wire, strip, and reconnect all hots with a wire nut.
I found was the supply wire wasn't cut, but was stripped in the middle and wrapped around the screw on the switch.
Do you mean there are two switches in the box?

Do you have a switch controlled overhead light? If not removing the switch may be a code violation.

Old 12-30-13, 02:59 PM
Okay, so, cut the wire and bring the two cut ends along with the wire leading to the outlet together in a wire nut? makes sense. And yes, there is another switch in the box that controls an overhead light that will remain.

Old 12-30-13, 03:38 PM
Group Moderator
In your first post you needed to mention two switches. A single blank plate wont be of much use in your application. It might be more beneficial to remove the wires from the un-needed switch and connect them but leave the switch in the box afterwards as a dummy.

Old 12-30-13, 03:51 PM
No, sorry.. i found a dummy switch filler. It's just a piece of plastic that looks like a switch that screws in where the switch would normally be. to cover the hole in the plate

Old 12-31-13, 10:19 AM
But what I found was the supply wire wasn't cut, but was stripped in the middle and wrapped around the screw on the switch.
Not uncommon, but I don't like this type of install. Is this to code?

Old 12-31-13, 01:51 PM
Norm201

But what I found was the supply wire wasn't cut, but was stripped in the middle and wrapped around the screw on the switch. Not uncommon, but I don't like this type of install. Is this to code?
Something I always wondered about to.

HP Richter in Practical Electrical Wiring and Wiring Simplified has referenced this in both.

ie: "Connecting Wires from Raceways: In raceway wiring sometimes a wire is pulled through one box and onto another., possible through still another, and so on. If the wire merely runs through the box, pull it through without the splice but leave a loop in case it is necceary to repull in the future. If you intend to make a connection to the wire as it passes thru the box, let a loop several inches long project out of the box. Strip away an inch or so of insulation, form a loop, and connect it under one terminal screw as shown...."

Last edited by rards; 12-31-13 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-31-13, 01:54 PM
Group Moderator
AFAIK this is allowable under code (though I'm certainly no expert) but I wouldn't do it myself.

Old 12-31-13, 04:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is no code prohibition against that practice.

Old 12-31-13, 06:10 PM
There is no code prohibition against that practice.
Agree! But.............I wouldn't do it.