Electrical box for ceiling splices

Old 12-30-13, 07:37 PM
Electrical box for ceiling splices

I'm removing a large soffit in my kitchen to raise the ceiling to 8ft. The soffit has about 6 #14 & #12 wires running through it. 4 of these are going to the other side of the house. The other 2 are for circuits in the kitchen.

The wires for the kitchen circuits can be easily rerouted over the trusses in the ceiling as there is plenty of slack wire in the soffit and it doesn't appear that the wires are stapled to the studs in the wall.

The other 4 wires pose a challenge as I can't pull the wires out of the panel on the other side of the house, and to top if off I don't think there is enough slack to make the additional few feet needed to go over the trusses if I tried.

My plan is to insert a couple of junction boxes in the ceiling of my kitchen in the tops of wall cabinets (walls are cinderblock) and splice wires in between and route these over the trusses. The boxes will be accessible once things are done. Given box fill needs, ease of install, and trying to find a cover plate that will blend in with the cabinet (wife's directive), my thought is to use a 2 or 3 gang old work box mounted to the top of the cabinet. There will be pink insulation on top of the box. Does anyone see a problem with this?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-13, 08:12 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Are you talking about cutting in boxes into the tops of the cabinets so the blank plate would end up inside the cabinet ?

Old 12-30-13, 08:23 PM
Correct. The blank would be accessible from the inside of the top of the cabinet.

Old 12-30-13, 10:02 PM
Group Moderator
I don't see an issue with that and insulation on top of the boxes is ok.