Wiring for a ceiling fan install question

Old 12-30-13, 06:48 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring for a ceiling fan install question

I have installed two ceiling fans in my house using http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...t-fixture.html and http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...eceptacle.html. I'm beginning my third install and have a question.

There is no existing light fixture, just a switch that controls an outlet. The wiring in the switch is, one cable(power, neutral, ground) supplying power. Going to the outlet is one cable(power1-black, power2-red, neutral, ground). The neutral wires are together(wire nut). Two blacks(power & power1) and a pigtail are together(wire nut). The pigtail supplies power to the switch. My power2-red is connected to the switch also and is supplying power to the outlet.

The wiring for the outlet is as follows, coming in is (power1-black, power2-red, neutral, ground). Leaving the outlet is (power, neutral, ground). The two neutrals are attached to the outlet along with power2-red, it is supplying power. The two powers(black) are together with a wirenut.

What would someone with a little more experience than I have do here? It is my understanding that this can (and maybe should have been??) wired without the power2-red. Do I just ignore the power2-red and wire everything with the two powers(black)? One black would supply power to the switch, other black(when switch is on) would supply power to the outlet. The outlet would have one black supplying power and another black continuing the circuit.

Old 12-30-13, 07:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
You haven't said what it is you want to do. Do you want the receptacle to stay live and use the switch to control the new fan ?

If correct..... where are you bringing your new fan wire to..... receptacle or switch box ?

Old 12-31-13, 05:15 AM
H
Sorry about that. I kind of realized that towards the end of my post. You are correct, I want the receptacle always live and will control the fan from two switches(one for fan, one for light). I am going to bring the new fan wire to the switch box. The receptacle is a little hard to get to.

Old 12-31-13, 08:34 AM
P
You will need to run a 14-3 or 12-3* NM-b cable from the fan (must be a fan rated box) to the switch box.
The wiring in the switch is, one cable(power, neutral, ground) supplying power. Going to the outlet is one cable(power1-black, power2-red, neutral, ground).
At the receptacle:
  • If the tab on the brass side is broken replace the receptacle.
  • Cap the red wire with a wire nut. (it isn't used)**
  • Connect the blacks to brass and whites to silver.
At the switch:
  • Cap the red of the 3-conductor cable going to the receptacle.
  • All whites remain connected to each other and white from fan is added.
  • Black of power in is connected to black from receptacle and two pigtails.
  • One pigtail to each switch.
  • Red from fan to one switch and black from fan to other switch.
Usual connections at the fan:
  • Black to black.
  • Blue to red.
  • White to white.
All grounds connected as per code.

*14-3 if 15 amp breaker or 12-3 if 20 amp breaker.
**If there is more then one red wire at the receptacle post back for further instructions.

Old 12-31-13, 11:52 AM
H
Thanks Posternine! That is just what I needed.

Old 01-02-14, 10:25 AM
H
Well, install is done! It feels great! Did everything Posternine said.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: