Considering self-employment

Old 02-18-14, 09:02 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Considering self-employment

Good morning, I am interested in learning a trade with the goal of eventually being self-employed after working for a company and mastering the craft, and I need more info before I make my choice.

I have narrowed it down to learning electrical or HVAC work. I'm not too concerned about the money, I just need a living wage, and I want stable work with a flexible schedule. I am in the Houston, TX area. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-18-14, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Learn both and you'll be more marketable.

Old 02-18-14, 09:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
You do realize it will take years to learn all you ought to know before going out on your own. It helps if it's a trade that you are interested in. As with most jobs, the more skilled and dependable you are - the more you'll likely earn.

btw - welcome to the forums!

Old 02-18-14, 11:18 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Houston is very strict on anyone working for themselves as an electrician unless they have a master license. They actually cruise the Greensheet and other advertising throw-aways looking for violators. To get your eventual license you usually start as an electricians helper for minimum wage. Eventually an apprentice electrician. Then after a few years if you make friends with a master electrician he may will sign off on you your journeyman's ticket. Eventually you can taker a courses for the City masters test but very few ever pass the test from what a journeyman who took the course and test told me. Of course there are lots of bootleg electricians but that is not what we are talking about. There is out in the county if you don't mind the liability. Nobody does much checking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: