Splicing in service panel

Old 12-30-13, 07:34 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Splicing in service panel

Hello all,

I am sure this topic has been beaten to death, but I cannot find a solid yes or no answer based on the latest version of the NEC.

I am adding 4 new circuits to the main panel which supply my basement. 3 of these are AFCI. The fourth is a dedicated 20 AMP single pole for the frig. These breakers are towards the bottom of the panel and the AFCI pigtails do not reach the nearest ground/neutral bar.

1. Can I splice a white wire (w/wire nut) to extend the pigtail?
2. The pigtail is braided wire, does the splice wire also have to be braided and the same AWG? what if it is not? I have extra 12 and 14 AWG solid and would prefer to use this if possible.

also, one wire per screw on the ground\neutral bar correct? the existing circuits have both under one screw.

Thanks in advance

Old 12-30-13, 08:38 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can splice in the panel. Use the same size wire and the same color.

Old 12-30-13, 08:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,154 Upvotes on 3,730 Posts
Usually the neutral tails are long enough to reach the neutral bar but if not they can be extended. The wiring on the AFI's is stranded and you can use solid of the same gauge and a wire nut to extend it.

You can have two ground wires under one screw in the bus bar but only one neutral is allowed per screw.

Old 12-30-13, 09:05 PM
F
Thanks everyone.

PJ...the existing circuits in the panel have both a ground and neutral under the same screw. I did notice that both wires come from the same Romex. Should I update this?

Old 12-31-13, 06:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 915 Upvotes on 773 Posts
Neutrals should have only one wire per one screw. Grounds can be doubled up with similar sized wire.

Old 12-31-13, 07:26 AM
Received 189 Upvotes on 169 Posts
the existing circuits in the panel have both a ground and neutral under the same screw. I did notice that both wires come from the same Romex.
That method was pretty common 35 years ago, but today I'd not put more than one neutral under a single screw or two ground wires under a single screw.

Old 12-31-13, 07:57 AM
P
the existing circuits in the panel have both a ground and neutral under the same screw
You may need to add a ground bar and move some of the grounds from the neutral bar.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: