Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Insight needed for wiring 2 fixtures and 2 switches to 1 source

Old 12-31-13, 12:57 PM

Hi all,

I am new to electrical work and am replacing a bathroom fan which is on a switch loop. There is also a light fixture on another switch loop connected to the same power source. The fan and light operate on separate switches. During the process, I removing some of the wiring with plans to put it back but now after putting it back, i am not getting the results I hoped for and I hoping you can help.

Currently, I have the fixtures and switches wired as described in the attached diagram. Both the fan and light fixtures are physically next to each other and the 2 switches are in the same switch box. The power source goes to the fixtures. All wire connections are in the same junction box next to the fixtures.

When I flip on switch 1, the light flickers then goes out while the fan goes on and stays on. When I flip on switch 2, the fan goes on and the light stays off.

If I flip on switch 1 and leave it on, then flip switch 2 on and off rapidly, the light will flicker on and off.

I am expecting switch 1 to only control the light and switch 2 to only control the fan.

I am hoping to avoid calling in an electrician so any insight you can offer would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-13, 02:11 PM
Group Moderator
The white wires that are carrying the "always" live power to the switch should be recolored or remarked so that they aren't white. I use blue but red is a good color too.

Your diagram is shown correctly. Your diagram is most likely how you wanted to wire the circuit.... but not how it's actually done.

Old 12-31-13, 05:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The diagram is correct. ..

Old 01-01-14, 10:17 AM
Thanks

Thanks guys! An assumption I made that I didn't even realize was an assumption is what got me.

Turns out I had accidentally identified the power source as one of the switch cables. I corrected that mistake and now I am good to go!

Old 01-01-14, 10:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you figured it out. Thanks for the followup.