Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Insight needed for wiring 2 fixtures and 2 switches to 1 source

Old 12-31-13, 11:57 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I am new to electrical work and am replacing a bathroom fan which is on a switch loop. There is also a light fixture on another switch loop connected to the same power source. The fan and light operate on separate switches. During the process, I removing some of the wiring with plans to put it back but now after putting it back, i am not getting the results I hoped for and I hoping you can help.

Currently, I have the fixtures and switches wired as described in the attached diagram. Both the fan and light fixtures are physically next to each other and the 2 switches are in the same switch box. The power source goes to the fixtures. All wire connections are in the same junction box next to the fixtures.

When I flip on switch 1, the light flickers then goes out while the fan goes on and stays on. When I flip on switch 2, the fan goes on and the light stays off.

If I flip on switch 1 and leave it on, then flip switch 2 on and off rapidly, the light will flicker on and off.

I am expecting switch 1 to only control the light and switch 2 to only control the fan.

I am hoping to avoid calling in an electrician so any insight you can offer would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Attached Images  
Old 12-31-13, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,154 Upvotes on 3,730 Posts
The white wires that are carrying the "always" live power to the switch should be recolored or remarked so that they aren't white. I use blue but red is a good color too.

Your diagram is shown correctly. Your diagram is most likely how you wanted to wire the circuit.... but not how it's actually done.

Old 12-31-13, 04:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 210 Upvotes on 181 Posts
The diagram is correct. ..

Old 01-01-14, 09:17 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks guys! An assumption I made that I didn't even realize was an assumption is what got me.

Turns out I had accidentally identified the power source as one of the switch cables. I corrected that mistake and now I am good to go!

Old 01-01-14, 09:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 210 Upvotes on 181 Posts
Glad you figured it out. Thanks for the followup.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: