terminating a run that's no longer used

Old 01-01-14, 02:41 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
terminating a run that's no longer used

Hello,

I have a run of cable that goes above the 1st floor ceiling. It branches to a few outlets before going to bedroom outlets and lights. We're removing a bedroom wall on the second floor and I want to remove the outlet that currently sits on that wall. What is the proper way to terminate this device? Do I cap the ends of the wire, place it inside a junction box, and leave it beside the 2nd floor joists?

I can't think of any other way to do this easily. But it seems to me that ideally all junction boxes and devices should be accessible and seen from walls and crawl spaces, etc. Hidden under a floor is not great.

thanks

Old 01-01-14, 03:19 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't think that you are supposed to leave it live, capped or not, inside the wall. I believe it has to be disconnected where it's tapped, off the previous outlets.

Old 01-01-14, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,976 Upvotes on 3,569 Posts
You pretty much answered your own question..... it can't be terminated in a non accessible junction box. You would need to know where it was connected and disconnect it there. After it was disconnected you would cut the wires off and push the cable out of the junction box so that it cannot be reconnected in the future.

Old 01-12-14, 07:32 PM
S
Thanks for the advice.
It took us a while to find the junctions but we finally found them. Cable was cut at both ends where it entered the flooring, ends were wrapped in tape and the cable was pushed into the flooring.

Old 01-12-14, 07:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
I don't think that you are supposed to leave it live, capped or not, inside the wall. I believe it has to be disconnected where it's tapped, off the previous outlets.
As long as the cable is in an accessible junction box with a cover it is fine. It does not need to be dead.

Old 01-13-14, 04:10 AM
Received 725 Upvotes on 641 Posts
As long as the cable is in an accessible junction box with a cover it is fine. It does not need to be dead.
Every local code may be different but I agree that it's not necessary to remove power from the line. What is the difference between that and an outlet that is not being used?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: