Garage Heater

Old 01-01-14, 05:57 PM
Garage Heater

I would like to install an electric garage heater in my detached garage. Its a 24 x30 insulated garage. Would use it one month of the year during my ice fishing season. Want to maintain 60 degrees. Outside temp could be as low as -10 to -20 F. I have 30 amps coming into the garage. I was thinking I would need a 6000 watt heater........as well look at 220 plug...what is it?? Welder plug? I think the previous owner used a plug in heater.

Could I direct wire into the 30 amp fuse? What are my limitations and how should it be done based on what you see in the picture. Thank you.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-14, 07:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's a little hard to figure out what's going on with that setup. It looks like the box on the left is a main disconnect with presumably a pair of 30A fuses feeding the breaker panel.

Can you see a wire gauge on your main feeder wires? They look larger than 10ga. Also, what size are the red breakers?

Old 01-01-14, 08:40 PM
each leg is fused by a 30 amp fuse..........confusing me! the main wire coming in comes underground from the dwelling to the detached garage........30 amp breaker in the dwelling feeds the panel. Must by either 8 or 10 wire! the red breaker is a 20 amp breaker