Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

End of run light switch to also power middle of the run switch

End of run light switch to also power middle of the run switch

Old 01-01-14, 08:22 PM
Lightbulb End of run light switch to also power middle of the run switch

I have two light switches in a double box. The first is an end of run connected with 14/2 wiring with white coded hot. The second switch has a single 14/2 wire going to another light but no power source. Currently both switches are two way.
Is there a way to power the second light from the end of run switch and still allow the two lights to operate independently?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-14, 09:37 PM
The first is an end of run connected with 14/2 wiring with white coded hot.
Actually called a switch loop.
The second switch has a single 14/2 wire going to another light but no power source.
Is this a ne switch and light you added?
Is there a way to power the second light from the end of run switch
You need a hot and neutral. The box has no neutral. You need to replace the 2-conductor cable from the working light with a 3-conductor cable.

Terminology note: Two-way switch is the British term for 3-way switch.

Old 01-01-14, 10:56 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Is this wired with conduit or cable? Are there only three insulated conductors (wires) in the box?

Old 01-02-14, 06:45 AM
Thank you for the welcome Nashkat1.
This is wired with NM sheathed cable. There are only two cables in the box and each cable has only two wires plus a ground.

Old 01-02-14, 06:55 AM
Thank you for the terminology correction Posternine, always glad to learn something new. I inherited this wiring situation when I bought my house. I though it was a faulty light until I checked the switch. I was hoping to not have to run any new wires because of the difficulty involved with this location; unless of course, that is the only option.

Old 01-02-14, 07:34 AM
You have to have power from somewhere. You could run power directly from the working light to the non working light or you could run power from a near by receptacle (on unrestricted circuit) to the switch box. First though tell us about all the wires at the non working light.

Old 01-02-14, 08:03 AM
The only wire going to the non-working light is a two wire sheathed cable. It runs from the light fixture to the switch. No live wires other than the adjacent switch with the switch loop. I guess I was hoping there was a way to change out the switch for a three way switch and tap into the power there, but I do understand your first reply in that there is no neutral in this case. With some effort, I could run a power source to the non-working light and set that second switch as a switch loop as well. Is that what you would recommend?

Last edited by Toxotes; 01-02-14 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-02-14, 08:22 AM
I could run a power source to the non-working light and set that second switch as a switch loop as well. Is that what you would recommend?
Yes, that is the simplest probably.

Old 01-02-14, 10:18 AM
Thanks for your help Posternine.