Do I need conduit or can I use a bundle cable.

Old 01-03-14, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I need conduit or can I use a bundle cable.

I like to add a 125a subpanel on the other end of my basement to supply power to the garage and a possible addition. The current main panel is almost full and in an finished part of the basement. To run conduit from the main panel to the where I want the sub located is appx 35-40 ft. It will have to go around a metal i-beam and cross diagonally partially through the floor joist. Can I use 4 conductor cable which may be easier to route.

Also, can I put the subpanel near incoming water lines?

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-14, 09:33 PM
Mount subpanel next to incoming water lines

Can I place a new subpanel next to the incoming water lines (Appx 6" to the right). Between the incoming water lines and the drain pipes on the right. The pic needs to rotate 90 deg counter clockwise (dont know why its is rotated).

Attached Images  
Old 01-03-14, 09:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
The NEC would allow a cable to be run between panels. You do not have a location shown so it is hard to know if local amendments would apply.

Old 01-03-14, 09:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you have 30 inches of clear space floor to ceiling. The panel does not need to center in that width.

Old 01-03-14, 09:50 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

I like to add a 125a subpanel on the other end of my basement to supply power to the garage and a possible addition... Do I need conduit or can I use a bundle cable.
The requirement to install wiring in conduit as opposed to using cabling is part of the regulations adopted by each local jurisdiction. They will tell you which you need to use when you apply for your permit.

Since you haven't filled in the location information in your profile, none of us can even guess which method your jurisdiction might require. Please complete that.

The current main panel is almost full and in an finished part of the basement.
Do you have the two full-size spaces in it that you will need to install the 2-pole breaker to feed your new subpanel?

Also, can I put the subpanel near incoming water lines?
Probably, if you follow the requirements for the separation between the subpanel (any panel) and the water pipes.

Old 01-03-14, 10:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 508 Votes on 478 Posts
Based on your local code.....if you could use cable....you'd use four conductor SER cable.
For 125amps you'd need to use AL-SER-1/0-03.

One caution is as you get into larger sized wire it's harder to bend and get into many panels.

Old 01-03-14, 10:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would probably say the 125 amp rated feeder is not needed and a smaller one can be run.

Old 01-03-14, 10:07 PM
The pic needs to rotate 90 deg counter clockwise (dont know why its is rotated).
Is this the way you wanted it to appear?

Name:  flip1.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  40.7 KB

Note: To avoid confusion and cross-chatter, I've merged the two threads you started, since you asked a question in one of them that you included in the other one.

Old 01-04-14, 07:09 AM
"I would probably say the 125 amp rated feeder is not needed and a smaller one can be run."
I want to use this panel as a feeder for a eventual addition I plan to do in the future.

Old 01-04-14, 07:13 AM
Is this the way you wanted it to appear?
Yes, the pic is rotated correctly.

Old 01-04-14, 07:16 AM
The NEC would allow a cable to be run between panels. You do not have a location shown so it is hard to know if local amendments would apply.
I am in Loudoun County, VA.

Old 01-04-14, 08:23 AM
I want to use this panel as a feeder for a eventual addition I plan to do in the future.
Most whole houses can get along fine on a 100 amp panel or even 60 amps. Will there be electric heat, electric dryer, and electric water heater in the addition? Have you done a load calc. Just so we are on the same page you are aware that feed to a 125 amp panel can be less than 125 amps?

Old 01-04-14, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the feedback on the picture orientation.

IIRC, Loudon County adopts regulations, issues permits and conducts inspections on a countywide basis. It is not, the last time I checked, a jurisdiction that would require the feeders for a subpanel to the run in conduit. I would plan on using cable and then check with them when applying for the permit.

That said, running individual conductors in conduit outside the house might be the easiest path.

Two questions: What is the full load calculation for the subpanel and what is the size of your existing service?

Old 01-04-14, 06:10 PM
Two questions: What is the full load calculation for the subpanel and what is the size of your existing service?
My load is probably not even close to 125. I am just planning for the future where I will leg off of this panel to do a garage and living space addition. The current garage power requirements will be 240/10 compressor, 240/30 welder (or lift), 240/30 heater. I have 200 amp panel now. But I called the electric company and they said my service is 375.

Old 01-04-14, 07:09 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
I have 200 amp panel now. But I called the electric company and they said my service is 375.
Service to the house might be 375, but the house service is 200 amps.

Old 01-05-14, 06:28 PM
1-1/4 looks pretty hard to route all the way. Could I use 2 conduits (said 3/4) and run a pair in each instead or all 4 conductors in one?

Old 01-05-14, 06:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
All conductors need to be run in the same cable or if conduit is used and the conductors are 1/0 or larger.

Old 01-05-14, 07:11 PM
hmm. How about running 1-1/4 emt for the long runs and then transitioning to flexible conduit the last few feet before entering the main and sub panel?

Something like this?
Shop Southwire 1-1/4-in Flex 50-ft Conduit at Lowes.com

Or better yet, can I use this for the whole run behind a finished wall in the basement?

Old 01-05-14, 11:31 PM
hmm. How about running 1-1/4 emt for the long runs and then transitioning to flexible conduit the last few feet before entering the main and sub panel?

Or better yet, can I use this for the whole run behind a finished wall in the basement?
You can do either of those but you don't have to.

1-1/4" FMC will not be easy to install in a wall. It will also require a fairly large radius when it turns a corner. It is not as easy to pull wire through as hard pipe is.

Why can't you run EMT or PVC outside or through the attic? Or install SER cable?