Siemens 150A Sub Panel No On/Off Need Advice

Old 01-05-14, 07:57 PM
Siemens 150A Sub Panel No On/Off Need Advice

Good evening.

Been doing some research this weekend.

My wife and I bought a condo about two years ago. 1850 sq ft up and 1450 sq ft down in the unfinished basement. I'm looking to finish the basement and have quite a bit of construction experience. Never have run across a panel or what I believe now is a sub panel without an on/off to shut it down. However that's what I have.

I've calculated all my draw at approximately 92VA. Has a 2 AWG wire for the power feed. Would like to add a 60A sub panel if possible. I'm a DIY not a licensed electrician. Would prefer not to have the service pulled. I have no more room in this panel to add breaker nor eliminate anything not being utilized.

Building a bar (kegorator), arcade with 11 vintage games, theater, bedroom, fireplace, lighting. Will be a great place to spend time with the family.

Any suggestions or advice on how to handle this situation would be greatly appreciated.

OHEMIO

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-14, 08:03 PM
I suspect that your panel is a sub-panel and the main circuit breaker is located in the electrical equipment room where all the electric watt-hour meters are located. You will probably need the facilities maintenance person to let you into this room.

Old 01-05-14, 09:11 PM
While it is always safest to shut off power with proper precautions you can add and remove breakers with out shutting off power.

Old 01-05-14, 09:28 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Any suggestions or advice on how to handle this situation would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, your Siemens MLO (Main Lug Only) load center is wired as a subpanel. As an owner/resident, you are unlikely to be granted access to the electrical closet where the main disconnect is located. I would plan instead on requesting the power to be turned off and on by the condo engineer if and when you need that to be done.

Would like to add a 60A sub panel if possible. I'm a DIY not a licensed electrician.
In most jurisdictions, adding a subpanel requires a permit. Do you have a way to get that?

I've calculated all my draw at approximately 92VA.
Did you mean 92A?

Building a bar (kegorator), arcade with 11 vintage games, theater, bedroom, fireplace, lighting.
That might add up to 92A. If it does, why are you planning to install a 60A subpanel? What residential load calculator did you use?

I have no more room in this panel to add breaker nor eliminate anything not being utilized.
Is your existing panel rated for half-height breakers? If so,does it have any of those now, or does it only have full size breakers?

If you'd like us to help you answer that question, post the model number of your panel.

Old 01-06-14, 06:56 AM
Depending on how your condo was designed and built, it's also possible there could be a multi-gang meter socket with anywhere from 2 to maybe 12 meters outside with a main breaker at each meter. IF this is the case, each meter should be identified by address, but many times they aren't. Another possibility I have seen is all meters and disconnects installed in a parking garage under the condos. When you find the meters, you'll probably find the disconnects.

Old 01-06-14, 07:11 PM
Group Moderator
A condo with a basement? I'm thinking townhouse, condo is more like a apartment IMO.

Old 01-06-14, 08:33 PM
The townhouse type condos are pretty common here too. I usually see them with 4 units to a cluster; each with either one or two floors and a basement. The OP has two floors and a basement; 3300 sq feet of living area.

Old 01-08-14, 04:37 PM
Thanks Everyone

Good evening.

You all were helpful in leading me in the right direction. My Siemens Panel model number is G2030ML1150. I have found that I can use tandem breakers. This will give me the option of adding 10 more circuits. More than enough to support everything I'm adding electrically in the basement. No additional panel required.

My wife and I bought this condo (more like a villa) a few years ago. It's a two plex which we are the second youngest couple in the entire development. Our condo is 16 years old. For a busy professional like my wife and I it is a bit of heaven because it extremely peaceful. Neighbors have been simply awesome. Montly fees are low. It was foreclosed and we paid very little for all we gained.

3 Bedroom & 3 Full Bathrooms (One BR/BA upstairs & Two BR/BA Down), 1st Floor Laundry, a large 2 Car Attached Garage, Formal Dinning Room, Cathedral Ceiling in dining room. Of coarse the best part a huge basement for the bar, arcade, theater, and guest room, lastly a 14 x 18 deck that is enclosed on three sides (we are thinking about adding a room more of a library for my wife she loves to read kind of the inverse of the arcade, bar, and a theater).

Right place at the right time is how we've explained it. Take care everyone need to continue drafting my final plans. Thanks again...OHEMIO