3 hot, 3 neutral - Please help

Old 01-05-14, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
3 hot, 3 neutral - Please help

Hi there,

I found 2 threads with similar problem but none of them was for a newbie :/

I have a following problem; I need to connect 3 hot and 3 neutral wires in one of my outlets. Currently wires are disconnected and none of the outlets in room and light fixture are working. As far as i know (and please correct me if I'm wrong) I'll need to splice the wires but to be honest I'm not entirely sure how it works.

It would be fairly easy task for me with a diagram or if someone would tell me step by step. I may add that the receptacle is brand new.

Appreciate any help. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-14, 09:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Right now you have three cables....... six wires hanging out of the junction box.
We don't count the grounds in wire counts.
You have three white wires and three black wires. Were all six wires attached to the old receptacle ?

Name:  vvv.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  11.5 KB

Old 01-05-14, 09:49 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

I need to connect 3 hot and 3 neutral wires in one of my outlets... As far as i know... I'll need to splice the wires but to be honest I'm not entirely sure how it works.

It would be fairly easy task for me... if someone would tell me step by step.
You need to splice the wires together by color/function and add a pigtail to each splice to connect your new receptacle. A pigtail is a piece of wire about 8" long that's the same color and gauge as the wires in the splice it's being added to. You can make all three at once by cutting an 8" piece from a scrap of cable and pulling the conductors out of the cable jacket.

Strip about 3/4" from one end of the insulated pigtails and about 1" from the other end. Using the 3/4" end of the white pigtail, hold the four white wires do that the ends of the insulation are even. Use a pair of lineman's pliers to twist the wires into a spiral, clockwise. Three twists is usually enough.

Trim the end of the splice so that all of the bare conductor will be covered by a standard red wire nut (Marrette). Twist a wire nut on. Do the same with the black and the (bare?) ground wires (except that there's no insulation to line up on the grounds).

Bend loops in the conductors at the other end of each pigtail. Crimp each of those loops around an appropriate terminal screw on the receptacle and tighten all five terminal screws.

Mount the receptacle.

Turn the power on.

Old 01-07-14, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It worked. Thank y9u guys, and that diagram is worth a thousand words