220v Outlet Problem

Old 01-09-14, 02:58 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
220v Outlet Problem

My dryer outlet is a 3 prong 220 outlet. I am not getting 220 volts to my dryer. When I test the outlet with my voltmeter, I get 123 volts when I test either of the tow slanted outlets with the neutral; however, when I test between the two slanted outlets, I get nothing though I should get 220 volts. The outlet has previously worked fine. What could be causing this? We have a fuse box rather than a breaker panel. Of course the fuse box is not labeled well, so I don't know for certain which one(s) is for the dryer. Will there be just one fuse that is for the 220 dryer outlet or does it require more than one? None of the fuses look blown. What else could be causing this problem? Could it be a bad outlet?

To be clear, I am attaching a phone of the outlet. When I test A to B I get nothing. When I test A to C, I get 123 volts. When I test B to C, I get 123 volts. If I understand correctly, I should be getting 220 volts when I test A to B. Is that correct?

Attached Images  
Old 01-09-14, 03:41 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Got it working. I found a blown fuse. Hopefully this will help others facing the same issue in the future.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: