Adding fixture wire to bundle

Old 01-10-14, 12:34 PM
Adding fixture wire to bundle

I need to change a light fixture. However, I will have to add the wires to an already twisted bundle of 4 wires under a red connector.

Is it OK to just to remove the red connector, add the smaller stranded fixture wire and twist on a new (or same) connector? Or should I separate all the wires and remake the connection another way?

What is the proper method?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-14, 01:40 PM
If the existing splice is made up entirely with solid conductors, I would just strip enough of the fixture wire to reach to the end after starting with the ends of the insulation even and laying it into the existing twist, trim it if needed, and twist the wire nut on again. I would also slightly untwist the stranded fixture conductor before adding it.

If any of the existing conductors are stranded, I would untwist them and then add the fixture conductor in.

Old 01-10-14, 02:22 PM
The 4 twisted wires are solid, I should have mentioned that. So cut it long enough to reach end (with insulation even). But untwist the stranded wire?? Im used to twisting it tight, what is the rational?

Related inquiry, is 4#14 and 1 fixture wire too many for a red wire nut?

Old 01-16-14, 02:20 PM
What if I wanted to add a STRANDED pigtail (12AWG) to a twisted bundle of 3, 12AWG SOLID?

Old 01-16-14, 05:11 PM
But untwist the stranded wire?? Im used to twisting it tight, what is the rational?
You can do it any way you like. I used to do it that way, but I found over the years that slightly untwisting stranded conductors before splicing them improves the odds of making a solid connection.

Related inquiry, is 4#14 and 1 fixture wire too many for a red wire nut?
IDK. It doesn't sound even close, but the real answer is to read the chart on the package the wire nuts you're using came in.

What if I wanted to add a STRANDED pigtail (12AWG) to a twisted bundle of 3, 12AWG SOLID?
I'm used to splicing up to 5 12AWG conductors and protecting that splice with a Buchanan B-1. Again, read the specs for the wire nuts you're using.

Tech note: A bundle of wiring is several cables supported together. Conductors that are mechanically and electrically joined together are said to be spliced.

Old 01-16-14, 05:37 PM

I'm used to splicing up to 5 12AWG conductors and protecting that splice with a Buchanan B-1. Again, read the specs for the wire nuts you're using.
Thank you sir.

So what would be the proper procedure to add a #12 STRANDED to an already twisted bunch of #12 SOLID? Can it be done without untwisting the solids?

Old 01-16-14, 05:57 PM
Thank you sir.
You're welcome. I'm just a member, like you, and a volunteer. There's no need for the "sir".

So what would be the proper procedure to add a #12 STRANDED to an already twisted bunch of #12 SOLID? Can it be done without untwisting the solids?
I don't know. What is a "twisted bunch"?

I only take an existing splice apart if one of the conductors in it looks shorter than I'd like it to be -- whether I'm adding any new conductors or not.

Old 01-16-14, 06:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You should be able to lay the new conductor next to the others and add the wire nut.