Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Splitting or adding new switches to existing lighting circuit

Old 01-12-14, 11:26 AM

Hi everybody, thanks in advance for the help I've been lurking around here and doing a lot of searches, tons of good info but haven't found the answer to this one problem I've been thinking about. We recently bought a house built in '71 with a large detached 2 car garage and shop that has a 50 amp sub panel supplying power to it. On that panel are the well pump, garage doors, outlets and overhead lighting. All of the overhead lights are fed from a single 15 amp circuit wired with 14-2 Romex switched by 2 3-way switches, one at the front roll up door and one at the side regular walk in door. The lights are 2x screw in sockets in the car parking area, 1 double socket flood light outside and 8 (!) 2x4' T12 40watt overhead fluorescent lights in the back shop area. My question is how can I spilt that overhead lighting circuit so that instead of all those lights being controlled by the 2 3-way switches instead have each area with it's own dedicated switch? The back shop is going to be divided and framed out into separate shop/gym/storage rooms so ideally I'd like to have 4 switches, 1 for the car area, 1 for 2 of the fluorescents in the storage room, 1 for the 2 fluorescents that will be in the gym and 1 for the 4 fluorescents that will be in the shop area. Sorry if this is a pretty basic question or it's been asked before, feel free to point me in the right direction to where I can find info to study up on my own.

Thanks!

"JR"

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-14, 01:37 PM
Group Moderator
I'd like to have 4 switches, 1 for the car area, 1 for 2 of the fluorescents in the storage room, 1 for the 2 fluorescents that will be in the gym and 1 for the 4 fluorescents that will be in the shop area.
Will all the switches be in the same box? Will any be 3-ways?

Old 01-12-14, 02:06 PM
No 3 ways, each in it's own box.

Old 01-12-14, 04:15 PM
Group Moderator
Run power to one switch. Connect the light to the other three way. To meet 2011 NEC cable between switches must be 4-conductor. If local code pre 2011 three conductor cable may be used between the switches.

Last edited by ray2047; 01-12-14 at 04:55 PM.