Electrical Box Advice

Old 01-13-14, 11:42 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electrical Box Advice

Hello, I've got an old house from the 1920s... I recently installed a tracklight and had purchased some electrical supplies... got myself one of those plug testers that tells you if an outlet is wired correctly. Went around the house and there was one outlet in the bathroom that had the hot/neutral reversed. I was able to fix rewire this so that it now registers as wired correctly but noticed when I went to test it before I put the plate back on the wall I could see a small spot in the back of electricity... first test it looked like a white dot, sometimes it was just a small glow. I imagine this is not good and have included a picture with two pink Xs to show where it was. I know this isn't a problem with the rewire because in the past when you have the light on in the room directly to the right of that outlet, this outlet gets warm. We had an electrician over years ago to complain about this and they just chalked it up to being an old house. I'm inclined to remove the metal clamp in the back to see if there is a loose connection but wanted to check with others first to see if this is normal old house behavior or what. Again, the glowing/electric stuff only happens when a light is turned on in another room however I noticed this because the hot/neutral had been reversed for who knows how long. Any thoughts appreciated.

Attached Images   

Last edited by wyclef; 01-13-14 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-13-14, 02:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
OK, I'm old and just don't see any "x's", but that's fine. You should have no glowing in this box. It is indicative of a loose connection. The red wire is stripped back too far and the b cap should cover the entire connection, eliminating the need for tape. You may want to vacuum out that box. Too much dust and dirt. What goes in this box? I only see wiring for a switch and that red wire.

Old 01-13-14, 03:14 PM
chandler, check the far right of the first picture. They are right beside the clamp.
Could it just be some light coming through?

Old 01-13-14, 03:39 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Could it just be some light coming through?
Or wire nicked by cable?

Name:  IMG_0652.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  35.9 KB

Old 01-13-14, 03:54 PM
Ahh, see them, now. Yeah, I'd hate to think there was a restive arc there.

Old 01-13-14, 04:45 PM
W
i don't think it's light coming through although i can look again. what do people think of me removing that back clamp on the back right to see what's going on behind there? any other thoughts?

Old 01-13-14, 05:07 PM
You won't be able to pull the hickey out since your wires run through a hole in the yoke. You can loosen it, but you'll need to refit it.

Old 01-13-14, 05:36 PM
W
i see what you mean. well do you think there would be any benefit to loosening it and sliding it out to the left some to see if anything is frayed or broken or do you think because things are so old i could make things worse. perhaps if i just loosen everything up, vacuum out the box and then re-attach everything and neatly tape things up this would go away?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: