Not sure how to tackle old fixture

Old 01-13-14, 01:04 PM
Not sure how to tackle old fixture

Need to replace recessed light fixture. Its very old and ugly, doesn't have a flush cover and the bulbs are exposed so I hesitate to just replace a ballast.

Im not sure if I am going to be able to find one of the same size to fit into the cut out of the ceiling. There is no box, the conduit goes directly into the fixture thru knockouts on the top.

If I cant find something that will fit the current bend of the conduit and the cut out its mounted in I will likely have to mount an electrical box to the conduit and consider something flush mount or abandon it all together since it really unused. But then the box probably wouldn't be flush with the ceiling since the knockouts of the old fixture are on the top of it.

How would you go about this replacement?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-14, 02:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure if your code will allow, but you could mount a round pancake box to the conduit and mount your light to the pancake box with the provided spanner bar.

Old 01-13-14, 03:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
A picture might help us understand your situation.

Old 01-13-14, 05:06 PM
oops double post... I apologize

Old 01-13-14, 05:11 PM
I haven't opened it yet, but this is what I have. The cut out is 25"x7"4" and its in the ceiling bypass/ drop in a kitchen... kind of like where a cabinet might mount under. It kind of looks like a smaller fixture wa installed inside the housing of a larger one. Unless these old recessed fixtures were like this.

On both long sides of the housing I think there is wood members as I see the fixture was nailed in.

When I get it open hopefully I can post another photo. I have to figure out how to open it up and where to go next.
Name:  000_2617[1].jpg
Views: 104
Size:  20.8 KB

Old 01-13-14, 06:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would make it much easier to just cut out around the fixture, install the new fixture and then patch the drywall. This will also give you room to work.

Old 01-13-14, 06:36 PM
If the pipe comes into knockout 4" above , do you think I could use a nipple or a box extension if I were to mount a box instead of another fluorescent? And if there are wood framed on each long side, how would I secure a box?

Or should I be looking for another recessed fluorescent? Use its knockout. Patch drywall as you suggest?

You can see in the photo where the fixture is nailed into the wood on the side. Are all recessed fixtures like that mounted that way?

Old 01-15-14, 10:13 AM
Heres a photo before it hit the trashcan....

Name:  000_2618[1].jpg
Views: 170
Size:  36.5 KB
Since this was in a place I could just abandon the fixture and not have to mess around with a replacement that's what I did.

Below the fixture was an outlet and the switch. Power came into the switch and out to the rest of the circuit on all 4 screws. The light was fed from a backstab on the outlet. The neutral for the light was also backstabbed. So there was 6 wires connected to that outlet.

I removed the black from outlet to switch. Removed the red switch leg from switch to light. And I removed the return from the light to the outlet.

There was no other wires leading out of the fixture. This was the right way to remove it correct?

As for the condition of the 50 year old fluorescent, I cant confirm if the ballast worked however, there was power at the tombstones. The ballast didn't look like I am familiar with... it was 2 pieces, GE brand. It looked like two doorbell transformers actually. The fabric wiring between the ballast and the tombstones was completely fried and pretty much all of the wiring was exposed.

Now I need to repair the ceiling.

Old 01-15-14, 04:25 PM
Check out that tubing. I took a closer look today and it appears someone tried to repair severly damaged insulation with it.