Need help wiring a dual switch

Old 01-13-14, 03:00 PM
Need help wiring a dual switch

Hello all. I'm trying to install a new dual switch in my bathroom so I can dim the lights with one but be able to just have an on/off switch for the fan. I've attached a picture to try and make things a little easier to explain.

If you look at the picture I attached, my current switch and wiring(in very simple form) is the one on the left. I'm trying to replace this switch with the one shown on the right. I thought it would basically be a direct swap, but there are fewer terminals on the new switch so I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing this.

Do I connect the wires connected to the brass terminals(circled in red) to the brass terminals on the new switch? Do the black wires go to the black terminal on the new switch(circled in blue)? Should I just use one of the black wires and cap off the other one, or should I pigtail them together and them wire it to the black terminal?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-14, 03:10 PM
Group Moderator
If the fan and light are not part of the the same fixture but instead separate fixtures each with power going to the fixture it does not seem that switch would work. It could work for separate fixtures but you would need to run some more cable.

Old 01-20-14, 05:25 PM
Thanks for your input! I think you're right. I'm now thinking it will probably be better to just make it a double gang type setup with two separate switches.

The switch that is currently installed would be perfect if one of the switches was a dimmer. I wonder, does such a switch exist?

Old 01-20-14, 05:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have never seen a dimmer combined with another device.