Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

wiring a 3 way switch with multiple fixtures after making a minor mistake.

Old 01-13-14, 06:42 PM

I say minor mistake while shaking my head. I am 25 and bought my first house in September. I tend to learn as I do, and normally have everything mapped out ahead of time. Haste = waste in this situation.
I posted a rather crude diagram, hope it makes sense. After making a big mistake and only having a minor grasp on 3 way circuits I made a hasty decision to update and change around the wiring in my basement. It is a walk out and I had only one switch at the top of the stairs to turn on all the lights. I added a few lights and wanted to update it so I did not have to leave a light on for those dark mornings. I need some help, I think I know what to do but want to know the best option for my situation. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-14, 06:54 PM
Group Moderator
Having a bit of trouble following your diagram. Would the one below work for your situation. If no tell us why it won't and we can show you another way.

Name:  q303266_295318_3_way_wiring_1.jpg
Views: 5546
Size:  42.7 KB

Old 01-13-14, 07:08 PM
I have a two switches, one at the top of the stairs, the other at my back door (walk out basement). I ran 14/3 from every light (besides 2, but would be easy to add another wire, I had scrap wire and ran them as a leg.) Now I learn after flipping the switch( trips the breaker once i flip one and then flip the other), I have a series and need a parallel, I need to know the best way to wire this. I can make a better diagram tomorrow. Busy night over here.

Old 01-13-14, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
You had an existing single pole switch at the top of the stairs. You need to run a single three wire cable from that switch box directly to your new back door switch. That's it. It can't stop anywhere along the way. At the back door will be the switch at the end of the new three wire cable.

Any new lights you add should be connected directly to an existing light.

Once this is done the actual wiring is straight forward.