shocked in the tub

Reply

  #1  
Old 01-13-14, 09:18 PM
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Unhappy shocked in the tub

My 6 yr old son was showering and yelled because the faucet shocked him. At the same time my husband was at the ac/heater unit and got shocked. He was replacing some duct tape. Using a meter we found that both tub faucets and drain along with the copper wire to our ad/heating unit have electricity going through them. This is in one corner of the house. Turning off the main breaker to the house didn't stop the current. Everything i have read states a ground wire could be broken or a frayed wire is touching something else. I don't know were to start to find out what is wrong. We have had nothing replaced and have not done any work on the house. The only other strange thing is the gas pipes were humming. Gas company said they were showing from the cold weather. ..anyone have any advice that could help?
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 01-13-14, 09:23 PM
Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 391
If there was still current flowing - especially through grounded items - with the main breaker off, then you have a serious issue.

Call an electrician immediately.
 
  #3  
Old 01-13-14, 09:36 PM
Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 235
Shocked with Main turned off

Do you or your neighbor have underground utility services? If your main is off the problem is not from your wiring but most likely there is a fault underground or ahead of your main somewhere that is trying to find a path back to the utility transformer. Your pipes are acting as a ground path that is now carrying a fault current. I would call the utility and if there are multiple services off of one transformer they should be able to isolate each one and see if the condition goes away. The problem may be at your neighbors if they are close by. You need to call now! Utilities have trouble men on call 24/7.
 
  #4  
Old 01-14-14, 06:30 AM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 9,213
Using a meter we found that both tub faucets and drain along with the copper wire to our ad/heating unit have electricity going through them.
What kind of meter were you using? What voltage did you detect? I hope you have already called the utility company by now.
 
  #5  
Old 01-14-14, 07:04 AM
ray2047's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 32,662
And if you haven't called the electric company be sure to call the emergency number not customer service.

Do you have an electric water heater or electric boiler?
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'