3-Way ZWave Switches. Confused

Old 01-14-14, 06:32 AM
3-Way ZWave Switches. Confused

I have an existing 3-way setup but want to replace with two ZWave wireless switches.

Currently there are three wires on each original switch: Black, Red, White

1st ZWave has connections for: Load, Line, Traveler, Neutral.
2nd ZWave has: Traveler, Neutral.

My problem:
I don't know what the black, red, white translate to for either switch. And, on the 2nd switch I only have two connections...what would I do with the third wire...just put a wire nut on it?

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-14, 07:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums. Unless you have neutrals in the switch boxes (and the whites are travelers, not neutrals) you can't use the switches you have.

Old 01-14-14, 08:20 AM
That's right in line with my usual luck.

Thanks for answering.

Old 01-14-14, 07:07 PM
ZWave

What are the part numbers on your switches. The 45609 has connections for Line, Load,Traveler, Neutral and the 45610 that is used with it has connections forTraveler, Neutral and ground (green). Does the Blk and White feed come in to one box and the Fixture Blk and White come into the other box or does the feed and light come into just one box. Typically the blk would be either the feed or the wire going to the light and the red and white would be the two travelers. On the Zwire their is only one traveler needed so you may be able to turn your white traveler into the neutral you need at each switch. The red could be the single traveler and the black would be the hot you need at the 45609 switch.

Last edited by bahtah; 01-14-14 at 08:27 PM.