power inverter

Old 01-14-14, 07:25 AM
power inverter

I tried looking the answer up but could not find any questions? so I might be in the wrong category? Any how it has to do with electricity. I connected a 1500 watt power inverter from out of my semi and wanted to hook up an electric kettle ,but the fault light would come on and not power the kettle? It worked fine in the truck but running it off a charged up battery it won't do it Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-14, 10:23 AM
How big was the battery that you used?

You'd need something capable of supplying over 125 amps, at 100% efficiency which just won't happen.

Old 01-14-14, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
It worked fine in the truck
Does the semi have dual batteries? Was the engine running? Dual batteries means more amps then a single battery and engine running means the alternator was supplying part of the power.

Old 01-14-14, 01:16 PM
Also important is the size and length of the wire you used. You would need 4 AWG or larger wire even for a short run.

Old 01-14-14, 06:07 PM
I'll try it with AWG wire but I have my dout's it will make much difference. I figured if the power went out I could at least run my pellet stove off it as the stove has an electric auger and a fan, but I really think I'll need a generator to run it. Thank for the help.

Old 01-14-14, 06:12 PM
Yes the semi has 4 batteries hooked together but I am not driving the truck at this time ,and brought the batteries in the house for the winter. It gets darn cold here in the Maritimes, Canada. Thought it would work on my pellet stove but I have my droughts. It was worth a try. Thanks for your help.

Old 01-15-14, 02:17 AM
The fan and motor on your pellet stove probably take a lot less power than your kettle. You still want heavy gauge wire on the battery connections so you don't drop the voltage to the inverter but my guess is it would power your pellet stove.

Old 01-15-14, 05:57 AM
Just for kicks, measure the voltage across the battery terminals when you turn on the kettle.

You''ll find that the voltage dips significantly because the separate battery was not able to carry the load.

Actually a new battery should be able to carry this load at least for a few minutes.

Double check the input voltage for the inverter. Some trucks have 24 volt electrical systems and of course would use a 24 volt DC to whatever volts AC inverter. If this were the case you could wire up two batteries in series, standing alone, to run the inverter.

Old 01-15-14, 06:16 AM
Group Moderator
Yes the semi has 4 batteries hooked together but I am not driving the truck at this time ,and brought the batteries in the house for the winter.
Was the inverter connected to those four batteries?

Old 01-15-14, 05:22 PM
I'll give it a try thank you.

Old 01-15-14, 05:33 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions ,and I will use 4 AWG wire, and hook up the 2 good battery's I have ,and will post the out come. Thank you again for the help.